Greetings from West Virginia

Hi, this is Jim, writing from Lewisburg, WV. I recently retired (early) from my job and relocated here. I grew up around Urbana, IL and spent most of my Engineering career in Fort Wayne, IN.

My guitar heroes include George Harrison, Eric Clapton (Cream and Derek), Al Di Meola, and Jim Hall. After playing electric blues and prog for my own enjoyment, I took lessons in Jazz theory and harmony as applied to the guitar. I had the guitar chair in a Big Band for several years, and that got me out in front of people. From that came a Trio and then a Duo, and then the 2008 downturn dried up the money for wallpaper gigs. I also helped out a friend’s band playing unplugged classic rock.

Now that I’ve headed south, I thought I’d try some Bluegrass/Old Time/Mountain music. The reason I’m here is that the application of my downward pick-slanting with occasional sweeps for descending arpeggios has been hurting my elbow. I had found some years ago that this happened, and now it’s back.

I’ve just looked at a few videos so far, enough to name my existing technique, and to see that there are monsters out there that use alternate-picking for bluegrass. So I’m dusting off an alternating technique that I haven’t tried for many years. Accuracy and tempo are both ugly right now, but it’s a brand new thing. I hope to post some videos soon for comment.

May you be well, happy, and peaceful,
Jim

4 Likes

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum and thanks for joining!

Hope you’re finding everything okay so far, and start seeing some good progress with the double escape bluegrass stuff! Any questions let us know, and for sure please share some videos any time :slight_smile: