Guided Error vs (over)controlled learning

Just got sent this blog post on Noa Kageyama’s site

https://bulletproofmusician.com/why-learning-the-wrong-way-to-play-could-enhance-performance-and-confidence-too/

I think this seems to link into the whole learning motions by feel/trial and error/being very aware of what you are doing when you get it right vs when you mess up. Maybe it also ties in with what is said here about just getting something going at a good tempo, rather than starting slow and working up (when you don’t know what the correct motion is)

It might also highlight to me personally why I really struggled when trying to micro-manage my way to crosspicking, and why at the moment, DSX just clicks for me with almost no practice or thought to the motion at a fine-tuned detail!

Have a read it’s interesting

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Always interesting to read about motor learning experience and consider how they may apply in other contexts.

My basic takeaway is that 1) exploring the full possibility space of an activity and being aware of the range of variations in performing it and 2) learning to consciously analyze specific errors and understand how/why they occur, can make it easier to make adjustments and get closer to optimal performance.

Maybe we could also frame it as additive vs. subtractive — rather than trying to add in “good technique” perhaps for some things it can be more useful to take away the elements that you can identify as causing problems.

1 Like