Guitar Chair/Stool Practice Question

Hi Everyone,

So I was just gifted a Pyle Chair for Christmas. What a POS this thing is… Disappointing as it COULD have been a great chair for practice. But the backrest is shoddy, the angle of the seat is off, and the powder coating already scratched after 5 minutes.

With that being said, ANY recommendations on what you use to practice/gig on chair or stool wise. Any brands, any tips, please let me know. Looking to buy a new chair soon and don’t want to make another mistake.

The Roadrunner stools are nice for jamming but I need access to my pedalboard so it’s important for me to be more in a sitting position.

Happy holidays- Alex

1 Like

I’m generally a big advocate of practicing standing up, but to sit, I look for a non-rolling straight-backed chair with a non-slippery seat. Dining-room style chair with a firm, fabric-covered cushion works well. I avoid anything where the back rest curves forward toward the ribcage, as the guitar is more likely to accidentally smack it. Ideal to me is a straight back that’s narrower than my shoulders (armpit to armpit).

Quick example from google image search:

3 Likes

I’m actually pretty happy with any chair that’s given to me to sit down and play xD

Except those gaming chairs, boy are they something else! They dig into my elbows and cause me to squirm every single time I wanna adjust into comfort. Ugh. I never played for more than an hour on those things during a visit to my friend’s place.

But currently I’m pretty happy with my swivel chair in my bedroom. The swivel sort of acts like a footrest so that I can do the classical position, or in this case, have a foot down lower to access my stompboxes and effects. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure a chair must be comfortable enough so that one may feel comfortable and can practice the session with full concentration. Today there comes a number of new design chairs which offers more comfortability. A friend of mine got his new trendy design chair from Office Furniture Solutions store, to practice his guitar session comfortably. The store offers a great range in chairs that to at best possible price. You can also choose a chair for yourself if you are comfortable to go with my suggestion.

1 Like