Guitar "holder" for disabled guitarists?

I used to play professionally before I was diagnosed with the same thing Shawn Lane had: psoriatic arthritis, but of an even worse intensity to where most of my days are spent bedridden in extreme pain. What I really need in order to play cleanly, as I’m tired of propping my guitar on my chest as I lay down (with some pillows added for support), is some kind of device that can “hold” my guitar over my bed/chest to where I can have free reign of movement of my hands without that affecting the guitar’s balance.

I know of those guitar pillows and support/frames like sold on StringsByMail, and I’ve used them and they don’t solve my problem. I’ll load a photo of what I wish I could use, but instead of a TV in the picture, I’d hope for something that could clamp/brace onto my guitar…

hospital bed swivel

Does anyone know of any companies that could (or do) do this?

Thanks so much!

P.S. What is the name of those “stands” that Yngwie uses when he plays his acoustic guitars on stage like in the following video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyrG7WzLOg

The stuff below may not be a turnkey solution but at least gives you a few more vendors and ideas to investigate. Unlike the stringsbymail frames, these are meant to work with music stands, so perhaps they could be adapted to attach securely to the kind of mounting arm you pictured?

http://mbracestand.com/

2 Likes

Wow man, I’m sorry to hear that.
Idk about a guitar holder, But what I found in my own attempts at practicing when in bed (sat up in bed) is the headless steinberger guitar is much more comfortable, it has a much smaller body so it can be manipulated better and brought closer to you. Idk if that will help at all. The one I have is a “steinberger spirit”. They are relatively cheap. But good guitars.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the replies/help, guys! They help a lot.

I would assume that you would want a luthier to mount some kind of “hard point” on your practice axe so it can clip into an adjustable arm that you can lock down. I would start with something like McMaster Carr and see if there might be an appropriate arm and mounting system, where it might possibly also attach to the frame of your bed? I would assume you would want the arm to hold perhaps fifty pounds?

I wish you the best!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is perfect… Great idea!