Guitar Techniques Magazine UK - old issues

Hi,

Random question but I thought I’d ask as there’s quite a range of helpful folk using this forum:

I used to collect Guitar Techniques Magazine back in the day as it used to have some excellent lessons and transcriptions so I was wondering if anyone knew of a digital archive where it’s possible to acquire these old magazines in digital format? I know you can buy the more recent one’s online from the company website but there doesn’t appear to be anything for the older stuff.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I haven’t found one. I have about a dozen old issues. I actually have one with Vinnie Moore and can’t find the dvd, so I was trying to find that one specifically for the audio.

I don’t know why they make it difficult to purchase digital archive copies directly from the website, but if you download the Guitar Techniques app, you can buy all the issues going back to Nov 2009. The digital ebook form is great, all of the recorded audio syncs with the tab/notation playback.

Guitar Techniques is definitely one of the best guitar mags in english. No filler and lots of lessons + transcriptions.

1 Like

I have quite a few of them, some from late 90s maybe. What month and year is the Vinnie moore one?

Feb 2001, Steve Vai is on the cover. I believe they play Die to Live, with Vinnie being the masterclass.

I saw that as well. :grinning:

I might do the torrent, I’m sure that it works. I know I have it somewhere, I just have so many old folders of DVDs/CDs that are in boxes from my move. I have all of my magazine DVDs in one spot, my music room, but that one and one with Paul Gilbert, I can’t find. I rarely go back to them, but when I do, it sucks not having them.

Are the tracks and backing tracks included in the torrent files? I’ve purchased several past issues with CDs via eBay, and they have been worth every penny! Guthrie did a recurring Soloing School column around Issues 85 or 90-ish. If you can grab one of these issues, don’t hesitate to do so!

Young guitar is also an amazing magazine from Japan the only problem is it’s in Japanese! They tend to transcribe stuff you can’t get anywhere else.

Hi all, FYI I hid two posts that contained links / references to potentially illegal methods for downloading guitar stuff.

I know that people meant well sharing the info, but as a guitar education website/ business we can’t support any form of piracy (even indirectly).

No worries @tommo, crazy we can’t legally obtain this kind of stuff in this day and age. I would happily pay for some of those old articles but my only option is to buy an old magazine on eBay.

1 Like

The only piracy we can condone around these parts is this:

1 Like

Second this, I have over 30 issues of YG, going back to the 80’s. I love this magazine.

Pro tip, if you go to the Japanese version of Amazon, you can buy them direct, so $20 vs what ever the resale is on ebay. You can also buy all of their books on there as well. I have a ton of Japanese tab books.

1 Like

I have about 5 / 6years worth of Young Guitar from the early 2000s right up to mid 2000s. There is a bookshop in London called Japan Centre Bookshop and I subscribed through there. Great magazine!!