Guitar Tone Mastery

Hello,

Is there any course on the planet that educates on how to dial a tone even if you don’t have ears for it? There are a couple of them for getting tones from plugins, but I want to educate myself on how to get a decent tone with my Modeler (Atomic Amplifire 12). I know there are so many things that play an important role like Guitar, Strings, Pick, Mic ( if micing the amp), IR, etc. I am looking for something that explains how to EQ the amp, Do’s and Don’t on certain amps, How to get a decent clean tone, edge of break up, rhythm, and a thick lead tone.

I don’t know if there’s any like that, If you know please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance.
Thilak John (TJ)

1 Like

There is one that is called exactly “Guitar Tone Mastery” by Chernobyl Studios :slight_smile:

https://promixacademy.com/course/guitar-tone-mastery-by-chernobyl-studios/

I actually bought it about a year ago. It focuses mostly on plugins and metal tones, but the explanations are good. It is of course a little pricey.

This is the promo video:

This is a random example of a free tutorial from Chernobyl Studios:

1 Like

I think you have to have ears for it, though, and I suspect you actually DO have ears for it - you can listen to something and think, “man, that’s a great tone,” and then something else and think, “man, that tone kinda sucks,” right? If so, your ears aren’t the problem, it’s more you just don’t know how to GET to a tone you like yet.

Being able to identify a tone you like, though, is definitely the first step. :+1:

2 Likes

Tone is in the fingers bro.

But for real, I think it’s difficult to define “master” guitar tone. The EQ you might use to get a full sound as a solo player in the studio, is very different from the EQ you would use to sit in a mix, or to cut through it and be the focal point. There are so many variables in how you dial in your settings (and then how the mix producer will totally disregard them to apply their own EQ/compression etc.), based on the context of the situation that it’s impossible to define any tone as good or bad.

1 Like

Rhett Shull (Rick Beato’s former intern) has a whole tone course setup specifically to address the questions it sounds like you have. Might want to give that a looksee. I’ve no idea if it’s any good or not, but Rhett seems like a pretty smart guy and anyone who’s worked with Rick and with any of his music industry friends probably picked up on a fair few things!

1 Like

Haha… I have ears for it, but as you mentioned I don’t know to get the tone I like. That’s my biggest problem.

1 Like

I agree with you, but my point is if I can have a better understanding of the process that I have to follow to get a good tone for starters I can work my way toward improving my guitar tone.

Thanks, @tommo I am guessing this is mostly for metal guitar tones, but anyway I will check reviews and some videos too, thank you for sharing.

This seems like it can answer my questions, I’m on his YouTube channel already checking some videos. :slight_smile:

I wonder if you should take a “dry” recording of your playing (no effects) and then run it through your various effects where you only have to listen?

I understand that in studios they simultaneously record both the “wet” and the “dry” version of guitar tracks, but the “dry” one is the most important because it grants a lot of flexibility recreate or change the sound later.

1 Like

Jeff McErlain has a few courses related to tone and effects on TrueFire’s website. The site usually offers a free trial.

1 Like

This is interesting @Donny :slight_smile:

Makes sense! let me try that too.

Step 1: know what you’re looking for…

At the same time, acquiring more general knowledge about signal chains etc (and in general about what tones are possible) can help you figure out what you are looking for!

For example: all distorted guitar tones sounded about the same to me until I started to know what to listen for.

Ok, I see your point. My fav tone has always been VH1 (surprise! :grin:) I’m quite satisfied with a nice compressed distorted sound… it’s not so much the hz here and there as long as cleaning up the right way Rolling off volume, and giving me some good saturated notes for sustain and midrange bark… and it doesn’t matter if it’s a kemper profile of dumble, mesa, marshall or whatever… i guess I’m easy that way :grin:

1 Like

This works for me: I twiddle the bass, mid, and treble knobs looking for that spot where it is most sensitive, with the most tone change in the smallest turn of the knob. I set each knob a hair below that break point and add gain to taste.