Guitar trainer for right hand

Hi,

has anybody used something like this:

I wonder if something like this exists for picking/right-hand-technique.
If not, I’m thinking about buying a cheap bridge, perhaps something like that:

https://www.rockinger.com/Media/Shop/2400c.jpg

and a saddle. Some cheap tuning pegs I have lying around. I would attach that to a piece of wood. I could put that in my backpack and use it while waiting for the metro (might be disturbing while riding it ;).

Any thoughts, drawbacks, experiences that come to mind?

Thomas

EDIT: I’m already thinking about an easy Smartphone clamp at the top-end :wink:

1 Like

If you’re not mimicking the full arm position and anchoring of the picking hand, are the practice repetitions similar enough to the actual task to give a training benefit? Not saying for sure they’re not, but it’s a question worth asking.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I was hoping for some insight from others. It might also depend on the way your anchoring. I don’t “finger-anchor”, but of course I touch the bridge, which should not be a problem, but also my forearm touches the body, although I seem to lift it more and more over the last months. It seems to relax, maybe I just do it from time to time to alter the position.
Maybe the wooden board should reach up to the area where the forearm rests, but of course that would sacrifice the small size.

1 Like

Several times I have searched fo such a training device and have found nothing. Sure I see a fretboard section designed to train the left hand but I have t seen what you are looking for.
You might be onto something with designing something.
Maybe just a chunk of wood similar to a Steinberger but smaller, with a bridge like you posted above and a short chunk of fretboard…maybe 6 frets worth…

1 Like

I have what is call commercially Shred Neck, it is mainly for left hand technique but it has a small space supposedly for picking. I had to travel without any chance to bring my guitar so I decided to bring it with me. At that time I was unable to do to any sort of DWPS so I started practicing on it. It was simple just 2 strokes in two adjacent strings. No metronome just the mechanics, eventually I added the metronome and by the end of my 25 days travel I was playing around 150 bps (16th notes) on the thing, again just pick strokes on adjacent strings (no left hand involve). I was very happy and I thought I did it, then I came back picked my guitar and the first day I was very disappointed. The first thing was that the string tension was different due to string length on the Shred Neck and where the space to pick is. And then the other issue was syncing the 2 hands. But after about 8 days practice on the guitar things started to work. This happened a year ago.

Conclusion, as long as you make an effort to simulate the right mechanics it is going to help you tremendously but it is not going to translate immediately to the guitar since there are many other factors involved. But since last year I carry the Shred Neck with me and use it when I am in a cab, airplane etc for both right and hand left practice.

BTW I have the Shred Neck but I think is overpriced if you are the DIY type guy you can do it a lot cheaper.

This is the link of my original post last year (Switching motion mechanics)