Haha what is this ? you guys check this out

At terminal velocity, it sounds like guitar pro midi with the tempo slider maxed lol

I’m not suggesting the playing is not “real”, it’s just so fast it sounds inhuman.

2 Likes

Yeah Troy , you make a valid point, I understand your issue with playing to pre-recorded tracks. No Milli Vanilli intended here! Made a note to produce more LIVE footage, especially with this new Shawn Lane series. Must get on now. You have a Good Day! :+1:

4 Likes

OK, so I am totally confused now.
Is the question that Roy plays on video to pre-recorded audio tracks of himself?
Or is it that he makes minor mistakes when he does?
Or is it that he’s using post FX on his actual audio recording that sound like MIDI?
(The years I spent with Shawn Lane in his studio enlightened me to the use and to the SOUND of MIDI …and I’m not hearing that.
What I AM hearing is a very tight compression with a high noise floor and fast noise gate.
Which to me, implies that the track was noisy and most likely mic’d up with a passive transducer. That or the direct line had ground noise in it.)
As for playing on camera to a recorded piece of music?
Isn’t it a promo clip?
I mean, if it was an instructional video or if I had been asked to PAY to watch it?
Yeah, I’d be pissed. Or “disappointed”, as someone said…
But as far as I can see?
All those clips are designed to do is to promote that very recorded music playing in the audio track.
And let’s say I DID pay for that record and it sounded different than it did in that video?
Well, wouldn’t THAT be the questionable issue?

I know this forum is geared towards the “Demystification” of guitar technique. I get that.
But to just attack a person for not meeting some subjective standards for that demystification seems counterintuitive to this website’s stated goal.
It sounds more like Roy’s biggest sin is that he hasn’t used a 240fps camera mounted on a “Magnet” guitar camera holder.
Therefore our only view of the mistakes he makes?
The number of times he misses notes playing along with his recorded tracks?
Well, they aren’t accurately revealed to be as HIGH in number as they truly are.
How dare you Roy.
How dare you not charge us money for these promo clips riddled with so many MORE inaccuracies that you refuse to display to us.
And how dare you sound like MIDI with your post compression settings.
But most of all, how dare you not follow the rules set forth here on CtC for your video before YOU POSTED your video here!
Oh wait, you didn’t.
Somebody else did.

I remain totally confused.

I do feel a bit like I’ve woken up in the wrong universe - is it common for mic’d acoustic guitar to sound like the first 20 seconds of that vid and I’ve just been unlucky never to happen across it in person?

When the strings are nylon and you gate the heck out of it and brickwall compress it absolutely it is.
What universe are you accustomed to living in?

Let’s hear the raw unprocessed recording in that case.

Why don’t you ask shawnmichael2790 up there to produce it for you, mate?
After all, HE was the one that posted the video, not Roy.
All Roy did was get attacked as though he did.

I’m not really sure where you’re going with this, the video in question is on Roy’s youtube channel.