Hand/arm tracking question

Reposting since I think this question got lost in another thread where I was posting 2 lengthy and fairly unrelated questions, so I’ll just post the single question here (and I learned some better terminology since that post)

I’m finding it tough to go back and forth between ascending and descending with string changes due to the timing of when I track my arm up/down to change strings. As a DSX player, it feels natural while descending to make the arm tracking movement at the moment that I hit the new string. So a 4 note per string pattern descending would be: Up, Down, Up, Down, then Up to hit next string (with simultaneous arm tracking to line up with next string in the same motion). Ascending would be: Up, Down, Up, Down (w/ arm tracking in same motion), then Up on next string. This feels right in each case on its own because of the economy of movement and changing strings with respect to stroke direction, but together it is tough to string together (pun intended) because from a rhythmic standpoint the arm tracking movement doesn’t land on the same note in the 4 note sequence (in this example) when ascending vs descending. So in essence, the tracking movement descending coincides with the first note on the new string whereas the tracking movement ascending coincides with the last note of the current string. How have others navigated this?

Very appreciative of the thoughts of the expert players here.

(P.S., I’m trying to develop a more wrist-based USX which seems less rigid with the tracking movements when covering only a few strings, but for the more elbow-based DSX where I can hit >200bpm picking speeds the timing of tracking seems much more important to maintain a consistent pick attack)

1 Like

Have any vids you’d want to share?

If you’re choosing patterns to ascend easily (DUDU in your case), maybe have the “turnaround” string be odd notes (for example DUD or DUDUD) then descend 4nps as UDUD. This would give you the"timing" you’re looking for.

I definitely would like to post some videos, just need to find time when I’m home (tough with a 10 month old), and if my wife sees me recording these vids she will think I’m certifiably insane ha

1 Like

Descending feels more natural of the two doing UDUD on each string (since it’s DSX). Not sure how the odd numbered phrases would help though in terms of thr tracking feeling uniform. If I do an odd numbered phrase on the next string (starting with an upstroke) then I end trapped on an upstroke and can’t do the ascending arm tracking to the new string simultaneous with a downstroke as would be possible with USX playing. Maybe it’s just a matter of getting instinctively used to the tracking movement differences when going up or down so that it becomes instinctive? I wish there were some videos I could see of Rusty Cooley to see how he does this since he is an elbow picker at fast speeds.

1 Like

@Brandon8o I just realized I missed the fact that you’re trying to time it to the actual downbeat, I thought you were just trying to time the shifts to the pickstroke.

Lemme think about it some more, my first reaction would be to suggest a pull off to get things back in sync as you’d like.