Hand types, classification?

I posted this in the Spanish Fly thread but it prob needs its own.

I think, this is a big part of decoding Eddie (or anyone) as he had some very strong flexible hands. And that range allowed more ability in the way he holds a pick. Yet I’ve never been able to find a scientific definitions for these differences in hand configuration.

Thumb n middle grip*

Tosin Abasi has the same kind of thumb. He’s sort of famous for his thumb slap technique called “thumping” which he got from Victor and Reggie Wooten.

The thing is - most people can’t bend their thumbs backwards like this, I know I can’t, yet I am still able to do his technique.
My point is - I think it is overanalysing. Sure, most of us won’t be able to hold the pick this way, but that is not important. Everyone uses their own mechanics that suit them best, it does not mean you can’t get same results without bending your thumb backwards.

I think does mean you can’t get the same results, as is commonly stated it’s all in the fingers. And the amount of force, the speed of force and the angle and leverage all effect what you’re able to do on the guitar.

I agree you can always find a work around and have to deal with what you got.
Though not all hands are equal and there seem to be a variety of types, I’m really surprised there’s no real anatomical classification. There is for so many other body parts, facial features for example. Or body types.

There are a few passages by Eddie that are much easier to do with a middle finger grip due to the way it sets up the hand and joint range.