Hard stuck at 130 BPM picking

I’m a lifelong elbow picker, though I’ve worked really hard over the last year to become a wrist picker. Things that I worked on early on and taught my students was to work independently with each hand.

You know that your right hand is fast, you’ve proved it. Your synchronization will come, but get your left hand up to speed. Do this by just drilling simple 3nps patterns with hammer on and pull offs. Set the metronome at 110bpm, and play sextuplets legato. Just play the major scale (or any of the modes of it) and repeat twice on each string the 3np pattern. Down pick the first time, up stroke the second, move to the next string. Really hit the down stroke hard.

The next step is stay on one string and alternate, legato twice, picking twice.

Lastly, play 16th note picked patterns at 180. On the G string (or any), play 11 12 14 11 - 12 rest. The pattern starts and ends on a down stroke on the beat. You can play this fast with your right hand, you’ve proved it. If you can’t get it to work, try it legato, picking the 11 downstroke and the last 12 downstroke. Work on keeping it in time if you play legato.

Once you have these concepts, you can move on to changing strings, using the knowledge that changing after playing a downstroke will be easier.

I want to add, the reason I’m working on wrist picking is that I’ve always struggled with what I call the in-between speeds. Between 115-150bpm 16ths, picking across strings in time with elbow motion was really hard. The tempo just felt like the locked in feeling of elbow was too tight, to move that slow. I’ve watched 100s of hours of video and most elbow pickers play wrist style at medium tempos, then lock it to elbow at higher speeds. Michael Angelo is maybe the one exception. Since I’ve switched to wrist motion, I’ve been able to fill in that in-between with wrist and go back to elbow for high speed (see Vinnie Moore’s instructional, he does this too).

1 Like

ahh okay gotcha thanks a bunch, this does clear up a lot for me and helps with my understanding, i will definitely take the advice of looking into the phrasing of other elbow driven players, and also look into the escape helper motions because it does seem quite limiting to only be able to speed through downstroke escape phrases!

hey man thanks for the feedback there’s some really helpful tips here and cool exercises! my left hand is actually quite a bit faster then my right because i’m a left handed player so legato always came easier to me then picking (which has caused a bunch of problems) so right now I’m mostly focused on getting the right hand mechanics down so i can get it up to speed with my left hand.

It’s interesting you mention playing medium speed tempos with the elbow being a difficult aspect because i 100% relate to that, it’s the main reason i think i’m having trouble adjusting to the elbow style because i can go really fast (tremolo) but slowing it down the speeds you mentioned it feels really stiff and awkward (and a lot of the passages i want to play are at those speeds) so perhaps i should take a look at some wrist picking as well

Playing wrist style has really helped. I was in a death metal band for years, where I was the main songwriter, so all of the songs were 180-220bpm, elbow technique for everything. I got older, switched to a rock cover band, and playing simple rhythms like the verse to Crazy Train, was difficult to keep perfectly in time, because it was at that in between speed. Playing a simpler solo like Cum on Feel the Noise, the last ascending 16th pentatonic, I couldn’t do it at that tempo. Switching it to wrist, those parts are so much easier now. A healthy dose of palm muting doesn’t hurt when playing and learning the wrist style.

Wow thanks everyone for the great responses :slight_smile:

I would just reiterate that - currently - @zetps’s best motion is the elbow motion from the last clip. I would recommend using this immediately on DSX (downstroke escape) licks like the one @gabrielthorn kindly tabbed. Don’t waste any more time practicing the inefficient motions in the first handful of videos.

This is the fastest route to immediately experience what “fast & easy” playing feels like. In the future, you can always try to learn new motions (like wrist) through experimentation. But having at least one technique that works gives you a benchmark for what “correct” should feel like.

Troy’s quote (ish): it’s either easy or wrong

3 Likes

I can also play tremolo picking from the elbow at fast speeds. When skipping or changing strings, not so much and the attempt tends to make the guitar bounce uncontrollably.

For that matter, i can’t play as fast while changing notes on one string, so I’m not sure how to connect tremolo picking to speed picking. I can tremolo pick many notes down one string, but I’m hitting each note more than once and that isn’t acceptable.