Hardest Van Halen song you tried to learn?

I’ve struggled with the intro to 5150 ever since I heard it. Like I say in the video, the double stops trips me up so much.
Do you guys struggle with one? Any advice for me doing those double stops?

Hot for teacher:

Getting the swing feel on the rhythm parts is beyond me. Some songs of his are so fast you can’t hear that the 16th notes aren’t even until you slow it down. This is definitely one of many ingredients in his special sauce imo.

1 Like

I love this view of it. Just the intro I guess…

He adds an extra note in there from A to D
Look at those hands!

Aside from the intro to “Mean Street” which I’ve just given up on and “Spanish Fly” which is pure insanity.

This, no contest that riff is insane.

This one is hard to get the feel right.

1 Like

lol It’s EVH… none of it is really “easy” - He’s always got some cool thing in there that’s a twist for the brain and the fingers…

Have you considered just going 1 beat/bar at a time in Guitar Pro? The progressive speed trainer is really effective, start at 30% of the tempo and work your way up, play 3x then increase by 1% or whatever you like…

1 Like

Do you have to buy guitar pro?

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s like 50 bucks? Worth it in my opinion.

1 Like

48 quid… hum. I’m running low till neck pay check, I looked at the site but can you tell me about it personally? Thats what you showed me before? I am really ignorent of any software man sorry. I need a lot of help in that aspect. Last stuff I had was 10 years ago. Before I had a guitar lol
I’ve used amps at college etc but never at home, I can’t use them here. All I’ve done is plug my guitar in direct to the pc at home.

1 Like

I never tried to learn much of EVH but I do remember how difficult Summer Night was in standard tuning, no capo and small hands lol

1 Like

Trying to learn anything on guitar.