Hardtail or Floating Trem, I'm torn

I’ve done a deep dive (pun intended) on tremolo stability and I found that the most critical aspect is how you tune it. A floating trem isn’t a hard tail and can’t be tuned like one. The goal is for it to be in tune when you release the bar, so that’s how you tune it. Dip the bar before you check the note. When its in tune after a bar reset, it stays that way. You can even refresh the tuning later by dipping the bar. My trem guitars stay in tune for days at a time.
I also use the Hipshot Tremsetter. Its a spring loaded zero return gadget, and stiffens the trem action but holds tune on double stops.
Don’t get me started on LSR roller nuts…

1 Like

I’ve been looking at the Tremmory which is very similar to the Hipshot Tremsetter. I think I’ll order one. I have been playing the hardtail version I bought before I decided I wanted the tremolo while I wait for the one with the tremolo to come on Monday. The sustain is absolutely insane. If the two guitars weren’t so similar beside the bridge I’d probably try to find a way to pay off both.

I’ve heard this song before! While I’m generally not an SRV fan, it’s a very touching and beautiful song. I like it!

1 Like

I remember looking at a bridge that used magnets to stop, double stop tuning issues, but I can remember the name… After a certain force the magnet let go.

I’ve received the trem!! Now I wait for the weekend to get it set up!

2 Likes

Are they both the same except for the bridge, pickups to? Fluence?

They are the same except the bridge and pickups, yes. Well the RG5121 Hardtail has locking tuners too but I can’t think of much else different about them.

Can’t go wrong with either, I thought the pickups may have been different, the floating one didn’t have the fluence logos on it, maybe that plastic is obscuring it.

Well the Fluence are only on the hardtail.

1 Like

I just placed an order for the Tremol-No on Amazon. I saw that Guitar Center sells them so I don’t think I’ll have any issue getting them to install one on my new guitar. Thank you everyone for your pointers!!