Has anyone tried one of these JEM kits?

Hey there,
I’m desperate to get a decent superstrat with a Floyd Rose but I have no money for the foreseeable future. I saw one of these dodgy looking JEM kits and wondered if it’s worth taking a chance on one.

https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/diy-guitar-jem-chrome-ebony-7141269526726-en.html#.YRwXL-tndm8.link

Has anyone got any experience of these or other versions (looks like they do others like LPs, Strats, Teles, SGs etc). Good or bad experiences ?

I feel like I’ve messed around with enough guitars over the years to be able enough to assemble it.

Try a used Charvel san dimas or pro mod.

U can score one for around 5 or 6 hundred…

Even Kramer pacer classic for around $379
Isn’t had

I’ve been looking around the used market in the UK to try and find something like that but it’s hard to find something local or someone willing to deliver at a fair price.
Also I’m just not comfortable with buying a used guitar I’ve never played or held in my hands.

I know you could say the same thing with one of these kits but at least the quality should be consistent if they are new.
I just wanted some feedback from someone who bought and assembled one to help me decide on getting one or not.

Check out Reverb. If you’re familiar with guitars you’re interested in, there’s not much risk.

Charvels are cant miss at that price point

This is not true. If you buy a budget guitar, from any manufacturer, the quality will vary a lot. You might find a guitar that plays like something much more expensive or you could get a real lemon. Most of the additional cost when going from a cheap to expensive guitar is the QA (quality assurance) that’s done by a person. Not only does it cost a lot to have a human go over everything, but when they do find something the cost of fixing it (or scrapping the entire half finished guitar) quickly adds up.

Many people seem to think that guitar makers like Suhr are selling what are essentially $500 guitars for $3k and are swimming in money, but that definitely isn’t the case. Even at that price point the competition between builders is fierce (on both quality and price) and so you get what you pay for.

The price of the kit you linked is too good to be true. Either the parts themselves are of abysmal quality and will fall apart in your hands in the first year, or there’s been literally zero QA on them and you’ll be lucky if all the screw holes are there and in the right place.

It’s hard to find a good super strat for ~$250 even in the used market. If I were looking I would see if I could find an Ibanez RG from the 80s or 90s (Ibanez golden era). The RG 550 will be very close to a JEM. You can browse around that site and find other similar models with essentially the same spec but with/without pickguard and different pickup combinations.

I’ve bought a lot of used guitars over the years just because I’ve been curious what the fuzz was about. Typically I just resell them again shortly after for the same or slightly higher price. If you’re price aware and buy something that’s already depreciated to a stable price you can essentially try the guitar out for the cost of a trip to and from the post office.

@SlyVai

I like reviews. Reviews from people about their experience in buying the same product that you’re considering. Reviews have helped me in my buying decisions. Other people’s experience is really great. A quick search of the guitar you’re interested in brings up several youtube reviews. Also, I like Amazon even if I am not going to buy from them. Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, wherever you can get reviews.

Good luck!

If you are looking for a lower end super strat shedder, I’ve found that the Indonesian ibanez rg’s seem to be very consistent from the ones I’ve played in stores, and that all of the fujigen ones I own seem to have their own unique identity for better or worse instrument to instrument. I’m not sure what the prices are like now for used, but it seems you could get an Indonesian rg for a couple hundred on the used market.

I don’t think I would bother with the Chinese kits unless you are well enough versed in repair including fret work. The quality of the raw materials (not the hardware and pick ups) is likely good enough, and they are all mostly just template cnc machined like pretty much everything these days, so they are all likely ver consistent, but that is all you can really expect from them, they have no QC in terms of the finishing aspects, particularly the fingerboard and neck, so you will likely be stuck with leveling, finishing and beveling the frets to make it near playable. By the time you take into consideration the cost of tools and your time, it would be cheaper to buy something on the used market by far.

If on the other hand, you have the tools and have some luthier skills, and want a project, go for it.

1 Like

Ok chaps thanks for the advice.

The reason I’m interested is that I’m currently out of work so have got plenty of time on my hands and I’ve got a load of tools. Although I haven’t ever really done any serious fret work, just some removing of burrs and polishing etc, but I can always learn right !

@Catmandu, I haven’t seen any bad reviews yet which is why I asked in the forum but I’ll do a good search online again.

To be honest I am leaning towards getting a used RG if I can find one local.

Im not considering JEM JR as I played a couple and they sounded very poor. There was a used one I played and the action was set very high so I said to the guy can I adjust it. He said he’d tried and the strings kept fretting out if he lowered it anymore. Sounds like it had a neck problem. I know it was probably just that guitar having a neck problem but I always think of that bad sound and high action whenever I think of JEM JR now.

Looks like you can find a used ibby for around that here:

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/second-hand/electric-guitars/ibanez/

Also typically in my experience, you can set the action fairly low in any ibanez instrument be it Japanese, Korean, or Indonesian. probably in the case of the jem jr, it just needed some extra adjustments to the truss and elsewhere to make that happen. I had a Korean jr once, and the action was nearly to the frets on it, so I know it’s possible.

2 Likes