Hellcaster, dig it?

This ‘was’ a super cheap 150 dollar magma telecaster, that sounded terrific stock. Came with alnico 5 pickups and sounds as tele as it gets. The original neck was very nice but was a tad wider in the wrong places, was having trouble getting my thumb over and playing chords past the 5th fret.

This morning I gave in and swapped the neck out. So glad I did it, it’s a bit odd looking but I think it’s very cool, the malmsteen neck has a lot of great features, machine bolts ( dead nuts in the neck ), brass nut, etc etc.

I’m surprised there’s no scalloped telecasters with all that pedal steel bending going on!

5 Likes

You monster! Seriously though very cool guitar, I can see how scallops on a tele would offer all kinds of double-stop bend options.

Man, I am loving the inexpensive options made possible by CNC machines. I mean I’d never recommend a Harley Benton to a beginner because there are QC issues and setup problems but for anyone with a few tools and some experience it’s like a goldmine.

I always thought it would be cool to have a Les Paul Jr. but the model I wanted was $5,399.00. Grabbed a HB, putting in a DiMarzio today or so and after tidying up the frets it plays great.

BTW I wouldn’t call the Tele “odd looking,” it looks great; have fun!

2 Likes

Very true, it’s been a revelation really. I think the first high quality lower price point I noticed were the Squier Classic Vibes. I had to shave of about half an mm with my dremel in the neck pocket. I tried to replace the bridge with my old Glendale bridge I had on a Grosh I sold, the pickup screws were too wide to fit, I think I’ll drill the holes to fit this week, I’m just curious. Next will be the electronics… yeah, your right, a little practical knowledge will go a long way at this price point. I mean this is late 1940s tech!

HB has been a game changer as well, I’d never even heard of this tele brand.

Also there is some fascinating stuff on Warmoth and it’s certainly a great way to end up with a highly customized axe. They offer half- and fully-scalloped necks.

You are very imaginative, I would never have been brave enough to think of such a combination.

1 Like

Thanks brother, it really is a great combination. My fingers are sore.