Hello CtC community

Hello everyone,
My name’s Tomas, 22 yo from The Netherlands. Im looking for some help very early on in my guitar playing journey because i can already tell that my technique is lackluster.

I used to play some bass and i guess i was an average level bass player. I could play some fun songs from bands like Muse and RHCP, but never really practiced. I didn’t look into theory or technique or any of that, I just played and got better very slowly over the last 7 years.

As i became a bit older i started to listen to more metal music, particularly the more melodic and progressive metal with very technical instrumentals. I got really into Symphony X last year which has the great Michael Romeo on guitar. I decided that i wanted to make the switch to guitar about 3 weeks ago.

Because i have a small foundation with my fretting hand, i wanted to start my guitar journey by focussing on my picking technique. I looked on YouTube to find some videos to help me get started and stubbled upon the CtC videos. After watching 3 videos and by looking in the mirror while playing I can already tell that i’m stringhopping and its pissing me off lol.

So with that all being said im here to fix my picking technique. It’s better to start off asking for help than to struggle for years before finding out my picking is done completely wrong. I would love to get the full membership but unfortunately (cus im living the student life) I don’t the money for it. Maybe i can find some help here from some experienced players :slight_smile: I’ll make another post to really go in depth on my technique and for feedback/help on it. Ive been trying to find a motion for a week now, 3-4 hours a day.

Anyways, im looking forward to get better at guitar. Its always better to start off strong

1 Like

Hey there! Did you ever post a technique topic?