Hello from Argentina! Ezequiel here

Hello everyone! My name is Ezequiel, I’m a 29 year old guy from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I’m very happy about joining this forum, given that I`ve been obsessed with picking for the majority of my 16 years as a guitar player.
I play professionally in cover bands although my favorite music is 70s and 80s hard rock, AOR, and some metal. I also love softer stuff, pop, funk and country.

I got into fast picking mainly through Whitesnake (John Sykes era) which is still one of my all time favorite bands. Other “pickers” I love are of course Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Steve Vai, Kee Marcello, Al Di Meola, Zakk Wylde, Chris Impellitieri and many more.

I’ve decided to join this forum because my speed and precision has hit a wall in the last years. Although I went to music school and took lesson with great local players, no one taught me about speed picking, at least not with in the analytical depth that Troy has. I’ve learned through observing, analyzing, and experimenting.

I feel comfortable with speed up to sixteenth note triplets (or sextuplets) at 120 bpm which is the same speed as sixteenth notes at 180 bpm (but feels different). Faster than that and I start losing control of the ship.

I would like to know more about my own technique, since I really can’t say for sure what I’m doing, and I still find myself hesitating about what motions to use, hand position, etc.

I will post videos of my playing and I will be very happy if some of you can help me out.

2 Likes