Hello From Corn Country

I can’t thank the people in this forum enough for all of the various insights, backgrounds, and tips that everyone shares! It has been truly humbling at the amount of willingness to help I have seen. It’s also because of Troy that I have been able to finally do ascending lines on the guitar. I always tried and failed because I have primarily an uwps/crosspicking style and never knew that. Been a member a while and just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum!

5 Likes

Welcome! Did a drive upstate New York a couple months back and never realized how much damn corn there is in the Hudson river valley. Cornfields are like in-ground swimming pools up there. Which part of corn country are you from?

Speaking of agriculture, I have relatives who live in places that look like the image below. Corn seems exotic by comparison :D:

1 Like

Ok what is that, wheat? Barley? I’m embarrassed.

1 Like

That’s mature flax.

Flax during the flowering stage can have a bit more pizazz:

And to bring things back to guitar, linseed oil is made from flax. [end of 16mm educational film]

1 Like

Looks North Dakota ish?

Truck driva out :sunglasses: :articulated_lorry:

Sharp eye:

“North Dakota is the leading producer of flax for oil and food use in the U.S.”

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/crops/flax-production-in-north-dakota

Though the stock photos above are from locations in Europe.

Any truck driver wisdom about scenic gems in the lower 48?

1 Like

Well, it depends on what you want to see. I’m a Native Floridian but I have to say the west is the best. The east coast and midwest are extremely bland and boring in comparison.

California is the most breath taking of all. Especially Central Coast and Northern. I was even in shock seeing the southern desert and Saltan Sea. Once you get west of Texas, it feels like you aren’t even on earth anymore. It’s pretty f***in unbelievable.

I’ve been to all 48 and all the lower Canadian Providences. Many times. Too much stuff to talk about here. You would have to ask me about a state in particular to have a manageable conversation.

You should really drive everywhere in these States in your lifetime. It’s a life changing experience for a East Coaster:

California (Everywhere except the coast between San Diego and LA) Stay away from I-5 in sounthern Cali in otherwords.
Arizona
Utah (salt flats)
Washington
Rural Routes through New Mexico and Arizona. And California.

I have some photos from the road in this Album, you may have to be my friend to see it.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1181387251891017.1073741831.100000592619181&type=1&l=6b8bbf9a96

1 Like

Love this — definitely on my bucket list. I grew up on the West coast, have lived for a while on the East…in between (and even on the coasts for that matter), so much I haven’t seen!

1 Like

Yeah man, so much to see out there. Other than Florida and New York, the east coast is pretty much a snooze fest, or overpopulated human corral. lol. NYC doesn’t bother me though. That city is worth putting up with the BS. It’s “New York”.

Wilderness wise, the Adirondack mountains in upstate New York are amazing, especially the back roads that run toward the olympic training facility. Vermont has some nice mountains.
Dude, The white mountain national forest in New Hampshire is the shiznit. I seen this Ice Castle on top of one of the mountains there. Northwest Maine is isolated as hell too. I love being away from people.

This is a freeway in SE Quebec at 5pm… I stopped in the middle of the highway and started moonwalking around. Not a person for 100 miles. :rofl::smile::sunglasses:

I want to drive around like Will Smith in I Am Legend, man.

1 Like

I creeped the album. Dig those Utah shots. “Fucking Wisconsin” :rofl:

1 Like

Buahahahahahahahahahahaha, I forgot I said that!!! I have a bunch of pictures. I have one that has a old tractor going down the road in Bumfuk Egypt. I say Big City Vermont or something like that. I was going to a Dairy. :rofl::joy::rofl::cow::cow::cow::cheese::milk_glass:

If you ever get a chance to get to Northern Idaho, I would highly recommend it! Coeur d’alene, Idaho and up through Sand Point is the most beautiful area I’ve ever been. It’s definitely worth checking out! Iowa definitely has a ton of corn and beans.

Yeah, I’ve been to Idaho. High elevation. A lot of barren land. Mountains. Treacherous winters. Other than major cities, there’s not a lot of people there.

I think I passed through that corner of Idaho once. I vaguely recall contrasting extremes of flat boring dirt fields and breathtaking exposed rock striations in river valleys.

1 Like