Hello from Manitoba!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say that everything CtC is awesome, and I’ve really enjoyed the deep dive into all of the technical aspects of guitar playing that I hadn’t thought about much before.

I’ve been playing guitar for about 15 years now, but I’ve been going to university for 8 of those years working on a PhD in physics and it turns out that is quite time consuming. Recently I’ve been trying to improve but found I had a hit a plateau for the past couple of years, and it was that subtle villain stringhopping. I’ve certainly still got a long way to go on my guitar journey, but all of the information laid out here has been an incredibly helpful resource, and for the first time in what feels like a very long time I feel like I’m making progress.

I’m finding a wrist deviation style for USX is working well for me, and I can do sixteenths at about 180-190 bpm comfortably. I also have a very fast elbow motion for DSX (>250 bpm) and have also learned that I’m capable of hyperpicking, so that’s pretty cool as well. My fretting hand definitely has some catching up to do in the speed department.

I think I’ve watched ~80% of the material on this site and have greatly appreciated how detailed everything is, and all of the hard work that’s been put in to it really shines through. Well done!!

Cheers,

keagsBjammin

3 Likes

Welcome!!! Wishing you all the best!!!

Welcome!

You’re right about the fretting hand, once the picking hand issues leave the station the picking hand needs to keep up. When Yngwie came to after is car crash, he was glad it was his fretting hand that was unscathed. The fretting hand is much overlooked, Yngwie mostly focused on the picking hand, it’s quite remarkable that he developed his picking techniques unawares for the most part.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yngwie certainly is incredible in his unconscious development of techniques. Also in terms of fretting hand, the Efficient Digital Cycles
thread was an extremely interesting read if you haven’t looked through it already!

2 Likes