Hello From Park City, UT,

My name is Gary Dranow, and I lead The Manic Emotions. I’ve been playing for sixty-one years. I am partially self-taught and have taken lessons from Ted Greene (Chord Chemistry) and Keith Wyatt, head of the Blues School at GIT—or at least he was when I was taking lessons from him in the mid-80s and early 90s.

I also go through courses on True Fire and Anthony from Texas Blues Alley.

I’m going to put my Spotify link here, not to promote myself but to show where I’m at and my songwriting style if this is okay?

I am about halfway through the Pick Slanting Primer, and I must say I am confused. I don’t know which style of player I am!

My main influences were Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, and my dreams are Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa. This is why I am going down the pick-slanting Rabbit Hole.

I want to have bursts of speed whenever I want it and increase my alternate picking speed and hand synchronization.

I just got my Magnet. Is it appropriate to put up a video for critique to get an idea of which style I should focus on based on my current technique?

Thanks to Troy for this invaluable resource. I look forward to the journey!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, if you would like help determining what motion you’re using, feel free to upload some videos of your picking in a new technique critique thread.

If you do, try to upload ‘down the strings’ footage using your magnet, so we can see the escape motion, and also a clip of you from the front, so the motion of the wrist, elbow and forearm is more easy to determine.

You can upload these videos as ‘unlisted’ videos on youtube and then share the link here. Try to upload it as a standard video, and not a ‘short’ as the footage cannot be slowed down as a short.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck on your picking journey :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I will get those videos up tomorrow; thank you for the instructions. I look forward to finding out why I am so slow and whether I just need to refine my current style or if I have to change things drastically :slight_smile:

1 Like