Hello from scotland! How's this? Would really like your opinions!

3 Likes

I’m no Troy, but this looks good to me :slight_smile:

Thanks very much, I’ve been at this for a couple weeks, it’s the pop tarts lick, I can get it up to 160bpm 16ths on a good day but past that I lose all control or even comprehension of what my hands are doing. I saw tab for this saying troy is playing at 200bpm!

Here’s one with the metronome.

1 Like

160 in a couple of weeks seems an excellent result to me! Taking it to 200bpm, I think, requires some sort of “athletic training”. In my experience with these sort of licks, and I think I am athletically “average” on the guitar, proper technique can bring you to the 160-170 bpm range with relatively little effort/tension, but to get into the 180-200 region you need some dedicated training every day which will inevitably require muscle tension/strain. Unless you are Shawn Lane, that is :slight_smile:

PS: But be careful to not overpractice high-effort stuff to avoid injury!

PPS: @milehighshred knows a lot about this!

2 Likes

Thanks, I do believe I can get there, here are my thoughts ( so I can have them challenged) my stringtracking is not good for example when starting a lick like this on a high string when I reach the d and a my picking movement which as far as I can see is wrist deviation (ulnar mainly) becomes more radial, which feels more cramped. Also I feel if I could do more of the supinated wrist stuff I would have much cleaner movement.

Also that makes sense to me about the tension after 160-170 I barely feel it before this point and after it the tension comes and I think that’s what I can’t control, I believe this relates to what I’ve heard Troy say during some videos, that practice at low speeds won’t reflect what these movements are actually like at speed.

Hey there @troy any wise words?

1 Like

@Hanky_Pooh, @milehighshred, @Frylock I’d really appreciate your insights🙏

1 Like

Hi! In general I would say this looks fine - I don’t really see any stringhopping so you have a picking movement that appears to work, which is the most basic requirement. If you’ve only been at this for a few weeks, I don’t know that there is much concern about having reached any sort of speed plateau.

Is this your usual picking movement or is there another that you’re faster with? Is 160bpm sixteenths the fastest you can move your picking hand, or can you move faster but just not with synchronization?

If you can play faster, but just not with synchronization, then you have a synchronization / chunking issue, not a picking movement issue and not a string switching issue. Single-string patterns and accents can help with that. At least that’s one thing we’ve seen work.

In general, when you post clips, try and post complete original-speed versions of things in addition to slow motion. Slow motion makes it easy to see small technical things but hard to see overall smoothness and course impossible to hear what things sound like.

1 Like

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback, I would say that I can consistently keep a speed of 170-180 on a single string, I’ve been playing for around 5 years but only recently attempting any real speed. I feel as I approach this speed, there is a tension in my elbow that seems as If it would be helpful if I could just control it.

1 Like

Since seeing your videos about 2 months ago I’ve tried a few different motion mechanics and this seems the most natural to me, seems I’ve always been a dwps and used edge picking from the start as that’s how my brother showed me to hold a pick. I still have a good few years of stiff playing to practice out of myself, put the guitar down for a while when I was previously discouraged upon first discovering folks with mind melting fingerboard prowess such as yourself😁

Looks like @Troy has you covered. For now I’d just second his comment that including an original-speed version of each take makes it easier to see/hear what’s happening.

1 Like

Hey Blue, looks pretty good to me. I second Troy and Fry. Hehe.

:bear:

As stated by others, I see nothing wrong.

The tension you feel will most likely lessen with more and more practice. Your body just has to get used to it. Don’t be afraid to push through it!

1 Like

Responding to your other post about swiping or what you may be doing. This isn’t swiping, and there’s not reason for it to “become swiping” just because you’re moving faster. This is upstroke escape wrist motion and it looks great. I would keep doing this.

If you want a clearer understanding of what you’re already doing, I’d watch the Pickslanting Primer “wrist motion” section. You’ll recognize what you’re doing right away from Chapter 1. Again, nothing wrong here, but maybe seeing the demonstration will make it clearer in your mind what you’re using.

If this is your most comfortable picking motion, then the idea is that you want to be playing phrases where the upstroke is the last note on the string. That’s how upstroke escape picking works. This means mostly phrases where you have an even number of notes on every string, and the final note is an upstroke.

If you have a line that has an odd number of notes, then you can use a pulloff to make the picking an even number of notes. That’s how Yngwie does that descending scale figure from “Black Star”.

Emphasis here should be on longer phrases going at least medium-fast speeds, this way you can get going and stay going. First five bars of this are pretty cool for a longer phrase with USX-only alternate picking:

Two-note-per-string phrases are also cool and give you some nice arpeggio possibilities:

Again, go right to music using only USX phrases and get this happening really comfortably while building out your musical vocabulary.

Thanks again sir :smiley: speedy replies, I must applaud your diligence. Got a real helpful community here.

As far I recall when making the video in question here, I altered how I was playing to replicate what I saw in your videos, at this point I was only watching the free sections on YouTube and had most likely not seen the sections on MAB and the 2 way stuff, it’s very hard to try film anything at the moment as I’m on a ship in choppy weather.

Whenever I’m playing through scales be it straight sort of box position ( forgive my lacking musical vocabulary) by that I mean standard scale positions, or 3nps or when I’m just noodling my homeground blues licks I believe my motion to be rising ever so slightly on either pickstroke but not with the amount of bounce described in string hopping. Best I can do at the moment is draw something to illustrate and send that on. But thank you kindly for the compliments on the playing in this video, means a lot to me to hear praise from such an accomplished player, very encouraging.

The motion you are making here isn’t really that similar to what I did in the older lessons. It’s much more similar to what I’m doing in the new wrist motion lessons. Which is why I suggest watching them might help clarify in your mind the motion you’re making.

Just to be totally clear here, the motion you’re using in the clip above does not work for three note per string scale playing. It only works when you play phrases where the final note on each string is an upstroke. You may already know this; if so, apologies, just want to make sure.

I’m not concerned about stringhopping. There is no stringhopping in this clip, for this motion. That’s why I’m saying, work on USX phrases that fit this motion and don’t spend another second worrying about your picking motion, stringhopping, or drawing pictures of what you think might be happening. That just takes your eye off the ball of doing music. Longer, musical phrases that fit “dwps” / “usx” motion, is the name of the game now!

Thanks man, you’ve just put my mind at ease in a big way cause not knowing which direction to go in I.e what to focus on with this stuff has been the most daunting thing for me for a while now and has made me hesitant to continue with this kind of playing. Unfortunately my ships internet is very poor and the best I can get a look at on cracking the code site are the tab sections with the clips but cant watch or listen to them. Gotta make do suppose, I shouldn’t complain to a guy who was doing something much harder back in the day with vhs tapes :joy:. Are there any particular long phrases that come to mind available in tab on the site for me to work on? Also wondering if by what your saying of my picking technique does this mean I will be limited to phrases which follow the pattern of upstroke switching? I dont imagine so as well you play all sorts of ways it seems and I’m very much of the philosophy that If you can do it i can too or at least to a degree.
I will of course do as much reading through the wrist motion stuff as Is available to help things along also.

Try not to worry about being limited. Once you throw in pulloffs and downstroke sweeps, you can still play almost any line with this technique. Plus, nobody is saying you’re not allowed to learn other techniques in the long run. I’m just saying, you have something that’s working, it’s time to get better at it. And the best way to do that is to start playing real music with only that motion, to “live in that system” for a while until it feels second nature. The goal is to get to where you can play longer lines with really even and good-sounding pick attack, across all the strings, and across lots of different common fretboard patterns.

I’ve give you two examples up there that I think are cool but we have a lot of others on the site. Really depends what kind of music you like. I would highly recommend playing stuff that’s musical and sounds cool to you in whatever style you’re interested in. That makes playing fun / inspiring and makes it not feel like work.