Hello from SLC!

Hi everyone! Going from the suggested script…

I’ve been playing for right around 20 years? Started off just playing whatever I could, then when I got really into old Metallica, that started me on the downpicking journey (repeat the same until I discovered Petrucci / Dream Theater for alternate picking). Since then I listen to mostly heavier stuff (most all the “-cores”) and really anything. I first stumbled upon Troy’s stuff I want to say years ago, maybe on the Petrucci forums or somewhere else, with a caption along the lines of “this dude is trying to analyze pro guitar players’ picking technique!” I think it was around the time where he put out a video shopping for a new amp? I thought it was really cool, considering how much I analyzed my own playing, to see someone else that was just as into it and wanted to find some kind of method to the madness. I stumbled again on videos sometime last year on the YT and found that there was a ton more content, and what looked like theories that he developed (at the very least, naming conventions which make it much easier to identify and talk about all this micro-technique). One of the more helpful things I saw / heard in passing (no upcoming pun intended) was the concept of playing through strings when they’re in the way, which is something I didn’t think to notice I was doing. When I saw the kickstarter for the Magnet, I figured it was time to jump in just so I could get even further insight to what it is I’m mechanically doing.

Hope all of that wasn’t a wash! I figure I would join in order to get my technique to be more consistent-feeling from day to day. Some days I feel pretty decent, others I feel noticeably more fluid. With the magnet I should have a better idea of what I do, and with y’all I can find ways to streamline.

That’s a link from a descending run I was practicing, feel free to start analyzing things, I’d appreciate all feedback!

2 Likes