Hello from Stuttgart, Germany

Hi,

I’m addicted to this forum for about 2 weeks now, so I thought it would be pleasant to introduce myself. I’m struggling with alternate picking for about 25 years now. I got along with it quite OK, until I discovered cracking the code about 2 years ago. It really opened my eyes. I was always quite analytical when it comes to guitar technique and was always aware of the string-hopping-problem but I didn’t come up with a more efficient solution, so I literally practiced string-hopping until about 2 years ago.

The discovery of 2WPS pushed my motivation in a huge way, because reaching effortless speed suddenly seemed possible again.

Of course I’m still working on optimization of my picking technique and this process will probably never end, which is a good thing, because it’s fun also.

When I started I used wirst deviation exclusively for picking and also string tracing, which lead to two problems:

1. leading edge picking on the higer strings, flat picking in the middle and trailing edge-picking on the lower strings
  2. A tendency towards DWPS on the lower strings, making string changes after downstrokes mor difficult.

Also I discovered, that, when having the wrist strongly deviated to reach the higher strings, changing the pickslant goes along with a lifting or lowering motion of the pick as the pick is positioned further from the axis of rotation of the forearm. So I try to keep my wrist as straight as possible, requiring more string-tracing from the forearm.

I’m still working on string-tracing and some other aspects of my picking. Thanks to CtC I can analyze my weaknesses by myself, but I will nevertheless post some videos of the things I’m working on at the moment just for fun and hope to get some helpful suggestions.

Cheers, Thomas

3 Likes

Hallo Thomas und willkommen!

You’re totally right. Thanks to CtC I have this new capability of analyzing my own playing mechanics. If I had it before, I might have progressed much faster.

Looking forward to see your playing clips. Have you shared any yet? The community experts will be happy to give you feedback. I know it helped me :slight_smile:

Cheers \m/

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, thanks for the intro! Great to have you here. We’ll look forward to any clips you’d like to share :slight_smile:

1 Like