Hello From Tennessee!

Hello, everyone - My name is Jeffrey, and I have just been introduced to CTC. I have to say, I haven’t seen anything like this ever before, and am both intimidated and ecstatic to investigate and learn!

The crazy thing for me is, I’m a professional, I play for a touring artist, but I’ve never felt like I had the articulation and speed I wanted or felt capable of. I’ve worked with great guitarists over the years, and even been able to pull an approximation of their solos, but never with the dexterity and clarity they commanded. This may sound weird, but I’m a smaller guy, and most of the guys I’ve ever been able to compare with have almost an extra knuckle of finger length over me! So it’s always felt like there were even physical limitations to what I would be able to play.

But it looks like @Troy has been able to open the door a little for me, and I’m excited to at least walk through it!
A little scared to put my money on the table, but that’s about me and not usually following through on these kinds of things, but I’m going to give it a shot.

Hopefully you’ll see posts soon that will be a “first example” kind of placeholder for where I am now, and then following that with progression examples too.

Anyone have a suggested schedule for how to get started that has worked well for them? I’d love to see something like that, if so.

Thanks!
Jeffrey

2 Likes

Welcome! It would probably be best to post some footage of your playing if you can. If your current technique works, you can probably keep using it and maybe just change it slightly instead of learning something completely new. I didn’t really have any good picking technique when I found CtC, so I had nothing to lose, but you seem to already be doing at least something right. So it would probably be best to try to work with what you already can do, but for any more specific advice, some footage of your technique would be very helpful.

Hey Jeffrey, welcome to the forum! Great to have you here. We look forward to seeing more from you soon :slight_smile: As @Sorc mentioned a great place to start is posting some video in the #technique-critique section of the forum, showing where you’re at and pointing to anything in particular you could use some feedback on. Easiest way to do this is an unlisted YouTube video; paste the link in on its own line and it will be playable directly in the forum thread.

Beyond that as far as a “getting started” outline, best thing we have currently is the Pickslanting Primer, though we should note it’s not quite as complete as we’d like re: introductory tutorial, so we’re actually in the process of filming some new material we’ll be adding to it soon. And I think once we get a better sense of your playing (both what you’re doing currently, and what you’re looking to play / challenges you want to overcome etc.) we’ll be able to get you some more tailored pointers as well.

Hi Jeffrey! Welcome to the forum!

:bear: