Hello. Great opportunity to learn something new

I am Aleš from Slovakia. I play guitar for about 10 years with not much success. I always wondered why is one more successful than other on guitar. I think Troy is creating a great set of tools to improve guitar skills.
What i find most difficult however, is to structure time and practice materials efficiently.
i find myself noodling around without any system.
i think it is because of so much materials to choose from.
Do you have any suggestion on how to keep it more simple?..
thank you

2 Likes

First off, welcome! I’m sure you’ll find the forum has a plethora of practice resources and feedback sessions.

That being said, I would say the worst thing you can do practice-wise is to beat yourself up. Guitar should be a fun instrument, and you shouldn’t dread having to do exercises and routines.

In my experience, it always helps to keep listening to music you like (and may not like!), and then try to learn your favorite techniques off of said songs. It motivates players to get better when they try to learn their favorite players’ lines and solos, and it gives their technique context; how to use it, why to use it, etc.

And with the multitude of technique lessons on Troy’s yt channel and seminars, I’m sure you’ll be able to find what you want to learn and how to practice it. For example, speed picking:

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on your guitar journey! If you want some constructive criticism, feel free to post a vid of yourself playing so we can give some tips and pointers.

2 Likes