Help me choose a fingering for this major scale

I want to play and practice a simple F Major scale using economy picking going up (ascending) and going down (descending).

Once I get to the B string, it appears that I would have to use my first, third, then little finger to play the D and E and F. That means using a weak finger combination (because 3 and 4 don’t work all that well together).

What finger combinations would you guys use to play the D, E, and F on the B string? So the fingering feels better and stronger?

https://hubguitar.com/technique/economy-picking-overview

Usual is 12-4, 1-34, and 1-3-4.

YJM is 12-4, 1-23, 1-2-3.

UPDATE: Sorry I had a typo at the end of the second row that I fixed.

I don’t want to use 1-3-4 because 3-4 don’t work well together.

What 's the difference between what you posted 1-34 and 1-3-4?

The notes on the B string (D - E - F) what other combination of fingers would work well there?

I’ll try 1-2-3 on those B string notes.

SORRY FOR MY TYPO, ABOVE (that I just fixed).

If I understand, most people use all four fingers, 1234, and if they have to stretch, it is 123-4.

For you, it sounds like you don’t want both 3 and 4 at the same time. So for the regular positions it sounds like you’d need to knock out 1-34 and 1-3-4.

So YJM replaces 1-34 → 1-23, and 1-3-4 → 1-2-3. I’m trying this myself (with the Chris Brooks course), and it could be the case that the 1 finger stretches in some cases, by analogy to how the 4 stretches. Good luck with this!

I peronally would invest time into 134

They work very well if you practice it.

https://youtu.be/AVCOKbYKQm8?t=263

1 Like

Interestingly, Chris Brooks said (if I understand) that he switched to YJM style. He can do both, of course!

134 is anatomically disadvantaged, if you believe Tom (and I do). I only use it when I’m low enough on the fretboard that the wrist arch I’d have to do is ~painful (old injury).

Likely as blanket statement for the physical reasons he (Tom) gives, but to what measurable degree is really the question, and can it be overcome? I think so in many cases, and you have plenty of great examples of people who do both. So much of this is individual. For sync/out of the gate independence, 1,2,3 1,2-4, 1-2-4 definitely has an advantage. For stretching 3,4, but can 1-3,4 or 1-3-4 be trained to be just as nearly effective in practice? Like anything else, probably depends.

I think the biggest thing is that this can also be very situational too and someone may choose to use both depending on where they are playing. Personally It kinda sucks to use 3,4 (or 4 in general) higher up on the fretboard, just like it kinda sucks not to use it lower just solely due to the spacing of the frets in those two locations.

Just something everyone should experiment with.

Honestly for Economy, 3 note per string scales work really well and you can for sure avoid 1-,3,4 or 1-3-4 with them. In F major starting low E to High E

Low E: Notes F,G,A Frets 1,3,5 Fingers (1-2-4)
A String: Notes Bb,C,D Frets 1,3,5 Fingers (1-2-4)
D String: Notes E,F,G. Frets 2,3,5 Fingers (1,2-4)
G String: Notes A,Bb,C. Frets 2,3,5. Fingers (1,2-4)
B String: Notes D,E,F. Frets 3,5,6. Fingers (1-2,3)
High E: Notes G,A,Bb Frets 3,5,6 Fingers (1-2,3)

As an aside you can make an ascending/descending economy exercise by going up one shape and coming back down the next higher. It makes for an exercise that doesn’t double pick any notes to maintain the strict directional motion of the picking and you can go up and down through all diatonic positions through the whole neck in the key with it.

2 Likes

The scale run you posted @357mag
This is how I play it, the 1 3 4 fingering is perfect for it.

1 2 3 is not a good choice in my opinion for the last two strings.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Uns5PHN6zt0

Thats

It really is a perfect fingering, for that run.

Do what you like, but I’ll dissent on 134. I see no reason to involve the 4th finger, which is weaker and has less control no matter what. Especially that far up the neck. The left hand becomes 100% consistent in its motion. 124 for all.

For me at least, even starting on the Bb on fret 1 of the A string…my left hand auto-defaults to 124. That’s just my experience.

At least for me, only in certain situations will I opt for 134. Those are usually when I’m playing someone else’s stuff and that’s really the only way to get it done.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried this before, I like it, gunna practice it.

Edit…
I retract what I said, 124 is better. I felt 134 was good because how little you have to shift your hand n been playing that all along, but 124 is way more consistant.

I’ve never tried this before, I like it, gunna practice it.

Edit…
I retract what I said, 124 is better. I felt 134 was good because how little you have to shift your hand n been playing that all along, but 124 is way more consistant.

@fossegrim @Ruefus @357mag
I know its not my thread but this thread really helped me, thanks guys.

1 Like

Why not 1-2-3 instead of 1-2-4?

My hand defaults to 124.

Horses for courses.

That’s pretty much the name of this game. Although 1-2,4 seems pretty awkward once you get higher up on the fretboard and everything is so squeezed together, but then again I refer back to the quote,

1 Like

https://youtu.be/e4yW_4RLTcY?t=1357

Grippage

The thing is, nothing works for everyone and more importantly - almost nothing works everywhere on the neck.

Much past the 10th fret, 123 starts making more sense. Except when it doesn’t suit the passage.

Sometimes we forget (or ignore) that context matters.

123 hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XxHmDoSgvgw

True that, but even with those parameters especially regarding context there are some things cannot even be played exactly without 1-3-4.

True. That’s where context matters.

Sorry, your notation confuses me. Do you mean one of the following? (- means a space)

• 124-
  • 1-24
  • 12-4
  • 1-2-4