Help me determine what technique I’m using

This is my smoothest picking motion and trying to figure out how it is happening. It should require 2WPS but I’m not seeing any movement. This is the classic inside Gilbert lick.

2 Likes

Blend of wrist deviation and wrist flexion/extension. Very Gilbert-y. Maybe a slight bit of forearm rotation in the mix as well.

1 Like

Hi - thanks for posting! As @Frylock says, wrist. However the clip is really too dark to see what else may be going on. It’s not clear if you’re hitting all the notes in the sequence - it sounds like there may be a gap where the fifth note should be which could be swiping or simply an airball on the way back.

Couple notes on filming:

It looks like you’re filming at 240fps - that’s going to make things super dark, especially under normal room lighting. You can switch your phone to 120fps in the settings, which is more than fast enough for this type of work. Then find a nice bright open window that does not get direct sunlight. It’s the best (and the cheapest!) light source around.

The angle you’ve chosen is great. But place the camera just a little bit closer if you want to see pick/string contact. When you’re assessing picking movements you definitely want to see your forearm in the shot, but you can get a little closer and still achieve that.

Finally, when you post these clips, post the normal speed in addition to the slow - it’s hard to judge what’s going on sonically in slow motion.

Sorry for the laundry list but definitely give it another shot and we’ll take a look.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments guys. I will do another attempt with better lighting. It did turn out quite dark.
There is a little full speed in the last 10 seconds

1 Like

Okay I finally got another clip up with better light. Maybe @Troy can take another look when you get a minute?

I had to get in a really awkward position to get light from the window … I’m definitely missing note 5 of the pattern on some of the reps but I don’t believe this is normal when I’m in a good playing position. Anyway take a look , thx!

1 Like