Help with Crosspicking after 1 year

I’d like to think so! But I’m still struggling with types of common variations on the motion like

• playing “inside” strings
  • playing on one string
    and even outside string changes can get very swipey. Physically Im not sure what to change to fix this.
1 Like

Hi, just looked at your videos again and compared to Andy woods very similar. Andy seems to be turning his forearm slightly whereas yours is all wrist, try to use the forearm if you can, I think I do this too. Also you’re movements are too big, you need to work on making the smallest movements possible, concentrate on making the pick travel the least distance possible and not about speed.
It looks like what you’re doing is pretty good though, how much do you practice? This has to be the hardest technique and I think needs a lot of practice to build up and maintain.

Hi @ParkerLicks — did you try any of my suggestions above? How much did you try them? What didn’t work for you? If you’ve been working at this so long and aren’t happy, I think you’re going to need to make some changes that will feel like a complete departure from your current form.

my experience with making small movements is mostly negative, does not translate into playing faster or more easily. Just like troy says, smaller mistakes.

Beginning to think I just cant get this motion down. No idea whats making me tense up. I will say that my experience is that you aren’t starting with or without tension but certain movements make you tense up. I played tense until I didn’t, it was a one day difference between being able to make a DSX motion at a fast speed and not. I don’t think trying to relax in this vague sense of just relaxing the muscles is useful if what Im doing is string hopping to the equivalent of it for my physiology. Ive gone through phases of trying to start slow and build up and that never gets me past the speed wall. I found DSX motion way easier.

Posting another video. If someone has experience crosspicking and can tell me where the motion is going wrong please do