Help with Descending Triplets

Hi all,
I am looking for some help solving descending triplets like seen here:
Example

At low speed, I have no issues, as there is plenty of time to clearly attack each string, and we can nearly flat pick the pattern. I’ve found at very high speeds, its also easier, but primarily because of legato although I would love more attack and distinction. Its the medium speeds like 120 bpm that really get me caught up - wanting to have clear accuracy and attack on each note while feeling fluid.

The obvious issue is string swapping, and moving at a speed where bounce becomes less reliable. I’ve been trying to solve using upward pick slanting (starting the pattern on an upstroke) and sweeping the string change upwards but getting trapped trying to tag the 12th fret.

Is there a lesson that speaks to this issue? I’ve tried looking through but struggling to find one. Any help greatly appreciated, inability to perfect this is driving me insane.

A couple of things that can be done. Trying to practice a double escape motion or the use of swiping is really the only way to cleanly play that pattern across strings like tabbed.

The other thing that can be done is to rearrange it so that a lot of it can be kept on a single string or at least six notes, (Yngwie type slide) and then strategically place string changes that work with your natural pick escape.

1 Like

Thank you for help, I am not familiar with swiping, is there a lesson that coincides?

Yes or you can add pull-offs, I would add one on the second string last 14-12 to make it an upstroke escape and therefore outside picking like the rest of it. Those multi down up down string changes make it a challenge to do really fast tho.

What type of access do you have to Troy’s platform? There are some paid videos. Free one is here, you just need to be logged in:

Hey there, I am on the subscription, I think that means I have everything?

thank you! I will look tonight !

I like this thinking, while being more effort to “Design” your run, it should develop your fretboard knowledge and toolkit, and help escape that “same old pentatonic shape” thinking / playing. Not sure where single string runs tap out speed wise, but we’ll find out. Thanks!

@aubreydean for alternate picking single string playing is some of the fastest you can do, along with planning string changes around your natural escape. If you combine the two, it makes the lick easier play. This is the method someone like Yngwie would employ, and one of the reasons he can pick fast speeds with out looking like he’s really doing much of anything.

Check this out. Chapter 15 onward goes into a lot more detail regarding swiping:

thank you! I was working through cascade but I don’t think pure pentatonic is much to my taste. I’ll take a look

I played around with this when I got home, and honestly the fastest easiest way to play it his with strategic pull offs like @SlyVai suggests