Help with lightly supinated USX

I think I have the lightly supinated DSX working:

Normal speed:

I see that this clip has a little more elbow than expected. I checked a few other clips and it isn’t always there. Does this matter?

Slowmo:

But the USX looks less than stellar under the magnet!

Normal speed:

Slowmo:

These two motions feel very different, but perhaps they’re not that different after all!

I’ve tried a lot of stuff over the last days, but the only motions I can generate that are ‘fast and smooth’ (let’s say 140 bpm and above) seem to be more or less trapped on both up- and downstrokes.

I’ve been trying to generate as much air on the upstroke, and as wide a motion (spanning 3 strings), as in the primer, but have been having little luck with either. The clips here are pretty loud acoustically, and I can make it a little louder, but that doesn’t seem to affect the size of the motion under the magnet.

How can I progress from here?

4 Likes

I think you’re right! It more or less looks like the same motion, wrist with a bit of elbow, DSX. The USX version has a different pick slant but the motion is more or less the same so you’re not really escaping on the upstrokes but rather swiping the string changes.

This seems to happen a lot on the DSX version as well, but this is more of a tracking problem I guess, since you are actually escaping on most (but not all) pickstrokes. It’s like you’re switching strings at the wrong moment, if that makes any sense.

How about shooting a video of that and posting it here!

2 Likes

Think this one is a mix of rotation along with flexion and extension:

When I looked at some of the other fast motions I thought I was generating side by side, the only thing that really changes is the pick’s orientation.

I think the magnet view makes it look like there is more elbow involved than is the case, but I’m not sure. If I’m constantly mixing in elbow that would certainly explain why I can’t get a movement that will consistently escape on the upstroke.

Here’s a clip of elbow:

And here I try to match the form, with both anchor points, a bit closer while moving only the elbow:

To me the final two clips look like they have very different arm movements than the others, which means whatever movement is present in (pretty much all the other clips) is just a result of movement at the wrist :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t know, I don’t see much rotation or flextension. The main motion seems to be wrist deviation with perhaps a tiny bit of rotation, but it’s not consistent.

Yes, in this case I think a different camera angle would be helpful. As far as I can tell the “pronated elbow” clip is mostly wrist with some elbow. The “supinated elbow” is elbow, I think.

Anyway, in answer to your original question

I would keep mixing things up: the grip, the kind of pick, the anchor points and so on, until I stumbled on something that felt good (smooth, fast, etc).

2 Likes