Help With Pentatonic Lick

New black label society song solo

Specific lick starts at 3:23
Solid pentatonic lick and my cover band has been learning so many new songs lately that I’ve had to go with YouTube and tabs and my ear chops I desperately need to get back into shape. If anyone can help me with a tab for this lick that would be top notch awesome!

Not sure what tuning he’s in, probably not standard but I am in standard. This is his “no more tears” picking pattern, just with different shapes. It’s got some wide stretches and doubled notes between the e/b strings

|-15-9-15-9------14-9-14-9-----12-9-12-9-------14-9-14-9-------|
|-----------14-9-----------14-9-----------12-9------------12-9-|

Then repeat it and end with a bend.

If he’s down a 1/2 or something just move everything up a fret. That will help with the stretches :slight_smile:

Lil sloppy but here’s a vid

Yup, it sounds like Wylde. I hate it. :laughing:

(Not your playing and transcription, of course, which are great).

1 Like

lol! I think Zakk is awesome but for some reason 90% of the stuff I like from him was during his early Ozzy stuff. Oh and Speedball too, which is pretty killer. But yeah for some reason, even though it’s ‘technically’ awesome guitar playing the BLS stuff never really grabbed me.

1 Like

That def sounds right. I’m pretty sure the song is in C#. I’ll play it later but for some reason I just couldn’t ear it out. Like I said I haven’t been doing much ear training lately because I just had to learn so much. This is proof I def gotta get back to it because this lick just wasn’t that hard lmao. Big stretch though

I think the weird thing from the ear training perspective was all the duplicated notes (9th fret E string is same as 14th fret B string).

Yeah the stretch…you can see in that video how Zakk angles the guitar up really high. It’s not quite as stretchy as the Shawn Lane diminished lick of terror lol! Even in Power Licks though Shawn mentioned for those types of patterns he needed to hold the guitar up a little higher.

You’re right and the effects don’t make it super clear either. Also I think his other guitarist Dario plays that part :slight_smile:

Oh I didn’t even catch that haha! Guess we know where Dario gets his influences :joy: Like I said, it’s the ‘No More Tears’ pattern.

True. You’re right with the ear part though. The pattern is much more distinct to me in the no more tears solo. Must be the repeating note in this BLS track

1 Like