Help with teemus licks and sixes

Hey, here is me trying sixes with twps
Kinda getting the feel of it, but I want to know if the motion looks good and if I’m doing it right

And here is one of my favorites teemu’s licks, a really tough one espiscially because of the huge streaches, if someone can help me getting it down i’ll be glad

Btw not really important but I just got my new Engl e606
When i’ill get back home from IDF this thrusday i’ll replace my old cheap fender mustang(which in those videos you can hear the very bad tone) and buy a cabinet and put my new pickups which I bought too(Dimarzio tone zone, Dimarzio X2n)
2 Likes

I’m sorry to say but I think your Fender Mustang sounds awesome.

1 Like

The Ironball looks badass! Congratulations!

Not familiar with those motions, I’m more in the YJM space and country hybrid. There’s that upstroke on each chunk I’d probably play differently, looks awkward to me, I’d either rearrange the notes on the neck or use a hybrid approach.

It’s sounding good though, sure somebody will chime in who’s familiar with it.

I agree, the motion for that upstroke looks a bit exxaggerated and I’m not sure it can realistically be played like this at high speed. EDIT: actually I looked at the video again and towards the end you get pretty fast!

@yardenishay it looks like you have already a grasp of the basic concepts of fast picking - and you are maybe “overthinking” that upstroke. So my suggestion is the following:

just try to play the 6s lick significantly faster than this, let it be sloppy if necessary. I’m pretty sure you’ll stumble on a couple of clean repetitions here and there - these will be the “correct” motions that you should try to learn and make repeatable :slight_smile:

Hey tommo I am very happy you responded to my video!
I feel like this is the only motion I can do to make twps works, doesn’t it look fluid/clean?
Maybe I am doing something wrong…
I’ll be glad if @troy could help too

Lol I really hate it! sounds ugly compared to teemu’s tone, hopefully I could get a little close to teemu’s tone with the engl

First of all thanks :slight_smile:(abot the amp)
Second of all, to be honest I have practiced(and still practicing) on the yngwie system for about a year and getting pretty good at it(I can do the trilogy intro and riff pretty good from time to time) but I was bored aftet a while from this system and I want to get the pure alternate picking(play the sixes, paul gilbert lick and more and more…) so I am trying for the past months get the twps technique, which is very not natural for me to do sadly :sweat_smile:

1 Like

He’s been using an Axe FX for years and now he’s playing on the Quad Cortex.

Yeah I know but maybe I can get close to his tone(hope so)

Hey @yardenishay, my first impression is that this upstroke movement can work at moderate speed, but may be very hard to push to the Teemu speeds you are trying to imitate.
EDIT: actually it seems you can do this pretty fast!

I may of course be wrong and there is a simple way to check: what happens when you try to play this 6s lick at the target tempo? just go for it and let us have a look!

Also, we have stopped using the term “two-way pickslanting” because it led people to pay too much attention to the slant of the pick instead of the motion path. I think this may have happened to you as well hence the very pronounced rotation on that upstroke.
We prefer to talk in terms of primary and secondary motion now, have a look and let us know what you think:

Coming back to this point, have you tried our recent motion tests? You may suprise yourself when you find how many motions you are probably capable of doing at high speed:

@yardenishay actually looking at your video again, you can get the lick pretty fast with this motion! So my initial assessment may have been wrong, and the motion is indeed doable at higher speed.

In any case, if you have the feeling that you are “working too hard” when you play this 6s lick fast, you can still look at the above suggestions and maybe you’ll find a more comfortable way to do the same thing :slight_smile:

Can you post a simple tab for these licks?