Hey guys! First critique - Alt picking/sweeping

Hey guys! I’m Mitch from CT and this is my first ever post here since making an account a few days ago. I’ve played somewhere between 2-2.5 years now, and I’m going to college for music performance.

Anyway, recently I’ve been trying to get my alternate/economy picking cleaner. I was hoping you guys could take a look at my video to see what kind of pick slant or grip I have, how I can improve, etc.

It’s mainly just random scales using 8th note triplets at 155 bpm, first going up in patterns of three and then just up the scale (first couple of seconds are REALLY sloppy, just the nerves of recording). If you guys need slow-mo, you can slow down the yt video (didn’t record in slow-mo from my phone ¯_(ツ)_/¯ ).

For the picking parts, my fear is that I’m holding the pick wrong or making exaggerated movements. I’m DEFINITELY not saying I have some crazy unique picking style, but none of my favorite players hold the pick in that sort of claw-like shape that I have. As for exaggerated movements, I want to try and make alternate picking motions as small as possible for better efficiency.

The sweeps are just normal minor and major triads/fully diminished sevenths (Yngwie style). I was hoping to get some feedback on how high my fingers are flying up; and if it could be negatively impacting speed/cleanliness.

Finally, at 2:10 I was trying to do the Eric Johnson 5 pattern with the E minor pentatonic scale. I cringe watching that lol, any tips on how you guys got it clean? Or where I might be messing up?

Sorry for the long-winded post, really eager to get some feed back. Glad to be a part of this community with such amazing players \m/

2 Likes

Don’t worry about other guitar players having having a picking grip which works for them. I used to try hard to have my picking hand look the exact same as Gilbert’s for a while. It did work after practicing a long time, but just did not feel as natural as my current grip.

Your picking looks fine. I’d focus on getting your hands synchronized. I think I heard a couple of repeated notes. When you’ve got that down, just gradually speed things up.

2 Likes

I think some simplified picking patterns might help. Focus on what the actual goal is and repeat a lick created specifically for that purpose. By thinking about several picking approaches and fretting shapes at once, your mind is probably a bit scattered trying to create a feedback loop.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’ve noticed synchronization being an issue particularly in the fast sections of the “Under A Glass Moon” solo. Definitely something I’m going to work on in the future.

Never thought about it that way. I’ve been doing patterns from the book “Guitar Grimoire: The Exercise Book” by Carl Fischer (great series!). By simplified patterns, do you mean stuff like 3 notes per string? Instead of doing coils of three notes?