Hi all I'm new to the forum

Long time lurker decided to join and I also purchased Pickslanting Primer, Have been playing guitar for 20+ years and also left handed but play right handed so my picking has suffered a lot.

Although there is a positive ever since cracking the code first came out and watched it on youtube my picking has improved its not perfect, I can still get caught up now and then but think that string tracking problem or maybe slight change of hand position, I can cut through 3 note per string patterns quite easily and am working hard to refine my picking.

When I pick outside string or inside string to me the motion feels the same so I must be getting some where with progress.

Cheers thanks for this great forum wealth of knowledge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a friend that’s also left handed but plays righty, similarly heard that’s it’s somewhat of a strange compromise cognitively.

Hi Pepepicks66, it sure is strange cognitively plus holding the pick wrong for years like pinch grip where you have less control of pick rotating /spinning or even worse dropping pick, I now use trigger grip which felt very weird at first now it feels natural to hold it this way and much much more control when picking, even alternate picking arpeggios is much easier, I keep drilling exercises and things slowly start falling into place.

Same for my fretting hand my pinky always gets a workout lol.

1 Like

Is pinch grip kinda like Steve Morse? I’m always fascinated to see people pick that way, one of my favorite guitarists does that and it just seems so bizarre and intriguing.

At least you use your pinky! I know some people that refuse to develop their fretting pinkies, so sad.

Yes Steve Morse does use pinch grip I believe, don’t know how he does it Steve has so much control, I had no control my picking felt real weak, the trigger grip feels so natural to me now accenting notes is much easier and no finger thumb movement unless I decide to use it.

I try to use my fingers like a piano player one finger at a time on fretboard and pinky finger is essential it opens up more possibilities, plus I also isolate each hand at a time, hammer ons pull offs, picking strings with no fretting, this is why I think I’m improving, still slow process though.

1 Like

Oh yeah, definitely agree the pinky opens up tons of fingering possibilities. I’m really bad at isolating the left hand though, I avoid hammering / pull offs like the plague lol.

Lol, the thing I find the most challenging is isolating just one picking motion, upstroke escape/down stroke escape but yet I can do both at same time to cross strings and also have some forearm rotation involved, its kinda weird.

1 Like

I try not to think too much about the picking motion, but seeing people here able to switch between different kinds is crazy to me. Not to mention @Troy being (seemingly) adept at all different kinds is mind-boggling.

Mind-boggling is a true statement lol, my cousin Chris who lives in England heard me for the first time on whats app the other night he was amazed, he also plays and doesn’t use his pinky and said 3 note per string is so hard how do you pick like that lol.

Was giving him some lessons on how to pick and sync hands together.

1 Like