Hi guys! Lefty playing righty hoping to improve my picking hand

Hi everyone,

Been playing on and off for 15 years now since I was a kid but never got better than playing Fade to black by Metallica all the way through (after 2 months of practicing it). Like many of us here the issue is my picking hand being sloppy and feeling like it is stuck in mud. After lurking around and watching some of the videos I’m pretty sure my problem is string hopping.

It’s an odd case too since if I sit down and work my way up I can sometimes pick a single string at 180-200 bpm but the moment i add my left hand, I start bouncing with my right hand and the synchronisation goes to hell. Worst is when I come back the next day and now I can’t even play 100bpm clean. Then it takes a week to build up speed again. This is the cycle I’ve been repeating for years. Playing chromatics, exercises, metronome practice, you name it. I’ve tried it all.

Example of what I’m talking about: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

One thing I’ve been wondering is if this is a physical limitation cause I’m Left Handed and have been trying to play righty for so many years? My left hand can pick faster and comfortably compared to my right with no warmups, but to be fair it is sloppy too since I’ve never really practiced that way. I know that people bring up the famous lefties who play righty, but those guys might be the exception. Or maybe with the right instruction anyone can learn to play equally well with both hands.

Anyways, this place is my last hope I suppose since I can’t switch to left handed guitar instantly. I play in a band and till my left handed guitar skills catch up I gotta somehow manage. Hopefully I can fix my string hopping issues and becoming a decent shred player :slightly_smiling_face: If there is anything I should look at, practice that would help please let me know. Thanks guys!

Looking at the video I suggest you watch the pick grip section of the primer…you might experiment with different grips. You are holding your pick with what looks like angle pad…which typically would be set up with more supination.

I’m a lefty playing right and had some success once I got used to a trigger grip. I’m not convinced (any more) that your dominant hand needs to dictate which way you play…however some have had success after switching…do everything until you get a motion that works.

Have you tried to copy MABs Setup? He is a lefty playing righty as well. Trigger grip, elbow-motion DSX and anchored fingers.
Vinnie Moore is another lefty (elbow), and Steve Morse as well