Hi, I'm new in town!

Hi, I’m new here. I lurked the forums a bit, and watched some of the youtube videos, and just the other day decided to get the Pickslanting Primer and the Antigravity, Cascade, and Volcano bundle. Yes, I’ll be very busy. Yes, I should be practicing instead of introducing myself. I’m taking a quick break.

I’ll be busier because I’m primarily a finger picker. It took me along time to decide to put effort into playing with a pick. At the best of times I divide my time over them kinda evenly. I’ve been playing along time and I’m pretty old. I don’t know how that happened, but it did.

I’m glad this resource exists, and really knocked out by the work Troy put into all this, and the rest of the team as well.

3 Likes

Hey there. I’m currently working on the Antigravity seminar so if you have questions you can message me. Welcome to the world of picking - we have a great community here.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m still going over what I got, as its a lot. I think I’m going to start with Antigravity because alternate picking has been my preference. I was taught economy in the early-mid 90s by a truly great teacher, but I was still primarily a fingerpicker and just learning picking. When I finally decided to put real effort into picking, alternate just made more sense to me. As I goof around with Malmsteen’s three string arpeggios, with his doubled upstroke with a pull-off in the middle, and then the downward sweep, I can see the benefit of it, but I also see other solutions to it. I think after I get a good overview of it all (which is analogous to reading the table of contents before reading a text book) Antigravity will get my focus first. I do a lot of wrist rotation and thumb joint stuff (“scapel” or inspired by Takayoshi Ohmura), and I’ve incorporated the wrist rotation into my finger-picked scale playing.

1 Like

Hey, welcome and thanks for picking up the Primer / seminars! Definitely let us know if you have questions / run into any issues as you go through the material :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks @Brendan, what would be the best way to do that? Just a forum post (and so which sub forum), or another way?

Yeah the forum is the best place for any questions about learning and technique! You can make a new post in #masters-in-mechanics for anything specifically about our instructional stuff or interviews. For any other questions related to technique you can post in #playing-technique. And if you have video footage of your own playing to share for feedback you can post that in #technique-critique — we have some more detail on how this works in our “Getting Started” Guide; I’d suggest checking that out too if you haven’t yet: https://troygrady.com/start/

1 Like