Hoping to build a custom guitar - where to get a shortscale, 24-fret neck?

Just like the title says–I’m in the very slow process of designing and building a personal guitar with all my own “best” specs, to optimize for my own playing. I know already that I’ll surely have to commission somebody to draw up 3D design files based on my sketches, and then get somebody to CNC the body out for me–but to assist me with that process, are there any notable guitar models that use a short scale length, AND have 24 frets? The psycho setup I have in mind is 24 frets, short scale (like, probably 22.5 inch), maple neck, scalloped fretboard.

What are some models on the market that I might look to for similar designs?

1 Like

The Ibanez PGMM models (PGMM31 | PGM/FRM | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars) have 24 frets and are short scale, although they have a scale length of 22.2” instead of 22.5”. It doesn’t have a scalloped fretboard but can have a maple
neck + fretboard.

Do you plan on making the neck from scratch by yourself or commissioning a 3rd party to do that? If the latter is correct, I know Warmoth make custom built necks and have lots of customisable options, although they’re not exactly cheap, and depending on where you are, shipping may cost a lot too. I also do not know if they make short-scale necks, although if its not listed on their website, you could ask them via email

I hope this is helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d definitely look at Warmoth; I know they scallop some of their necks, but probably not this one.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-necks/7-8-warhead

2 Likes

One thing you might want to keep in mind with that scale and 24 frets is that the shorter the scale, the closer the bridge has to move towards the neck, and the further the fretboard has to extend from the heal which may affect what you may be able to fit regarding pickup configuration and choice.

2 Likes

Excellent observation! Currently my plan is to not use any traditional pickups at all, and only use a hexaphonic pickup like the new GR5 right next to the bridge. It’ll be a weird instrument.

Wow, I am amazed that Roland modernized their ancient design with what seems to be a differential serial interface :heart:

Always have at least a humbucker—potentially with a coil tap—at the bridge, the GK-5 will have plenty of space.

Share photos when you’re done.