How did you overcome your directional shortcoming?

While there may be some players that naturally ascend and descend scales with the same proficiency, I’m finding that most people have a deficiency in one direction or another.

How did you overcome this?

2 Likes

I suggest playing the scale in the direction that feels weird to you and then coming back to the starting point. This kind of excercise should help. Also try to forget about changing the position of the hand and think more of the pick itself.

Could be a tracking issue. Have you put in enough time to feel like youve plateau’d? I used to have a preference but it has evened out over time.

I dont feel a preference for any direction, they feel pretty much the same for me.

The last couple years I’ve played mostly bass. When I finally got sick of waiting for a custom bass to be finished, I picked up my guitar again and started working on picking technique. I’ve been at it for about 6 weeks and while I’ve made a lot of progress, the sticking point seems to be descending. the development in this part has been very, very slow.

I’ve tried a few different approaches, twps has definitely plateaued. I have not been able to get over the hump with the chunk. I made another thread with some clips, but maybe the clips aren’t helpful because I haven’t gotten any real feedback that would be helpful.

With a 2 note per string pentatonic scale, I find that I have opposite deficiencies depending if I’m upward pickslanting or downward pickslanting. With an upward slant, I find easier to descent than to ascent. With a downward slant, I find it easier to ascend than to descent. I wonder if the deficiencies are somehow physically related.