How do you choose USX and DSX? Megadeth Hook in Mouth example

Hi, I’ve been trying to work on this piece, really just memorize it with my left hand actually. I am curious - deciding when to palm mute and when to do downstrokes vs. upstrokes is fairly straightforward, but if one were to sit down and academically plot out which notes to use USX vs. DSX on, how would you do it on the attached example? This is the Jeff Young solo (or interlude) from Megadeth’s Hook in Mouth.

D = DSX
U = USX

Please, I understand that the DSX and USX “just happens” for a lot of players - but I’m curious if there’s a way to structure the playing, or even moving the notes around onto different strings (who says this transcription is the easiest way to play this part!) could put together a road map for using the Paul Gilbert combination of Al Di Meola DSX and Mike Stern USX motions.

Thanks for your patience,
Dan

DSX would be so that every time you go to change strings you change with a downstroke. So your downstrokes would have to go “up in the air” to escape the string before picking the next

USX would be changing strings with an upstroke.
So your upstrokes would have to go “up in the air” to escape the string before picking the next

1 Like

Yes, I understand, I’m wondering if my take on when to choose USX vs DSX makes sense.

But you pretty much answer your own question haha. Most people develop a tendency for DSX or USX and it happens naturally. But once you understand what’s going on mechanically, you
Can set up licks for either one. And then that it how you can practice the one you’re lacking in

1 Like