How do you chunk 3 note per string scales?

How do you guys chunk 3 note per string scales with sixteenth notes?

If you’re thinking about rhythms, a lot of pick slant changes happen on the e’s and a’s…which well, isn’t as intuitive as downbeats and upbeats.

Of course, one can just chunk by changing the pick slant on the last note before each string change, but at faster speeds I find this hard to catch when everything is on autopilot. Curious on how other people approach this…

1 Like

Hi,

I chunk them by sixes. For me there needs to be some sixes pattern or I am lost.

In general, I need fours, sixes or eights. Otherwise my brain is lost. Basically, I need the first pick stroke to always be a down one.

I am interested to know if some people use odd numbered chunks. Or any other technique for chunking.

EDIT: I use “basically” too often :smile:

2 Likes

I sometimes find I get better synchronisation between hands if I think of everything as groups of 2, but obviously this can mess with the accents.

2 Likes

Actually I have the opposite problem! I find it easier to work on these things with 16th notes, so that the string changes get decoupled from the accents.

1 Like

This is awesome advice. I’ve been trying this today, and it seems to help.

So if you’re ascending and descending, are you thinking like this?

string 6: 123 string 5: 456 / string 4: 123 string 3: 456 / string 2: 123 string string 6: 456 / string 2: 123 string 3: 456 / string 4: 123 string 5: 456 / string 6: 12 —> then the pattern starts over

Also, does this ever confuse you ever with rhythms themselves? It’s a new way to think for sure for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes