How do you warm up?

Hello!

I have a simple question: How do you usually warm your right hand up?
I am asking because I have a big problem with my playing since several months.
On 50% of the days I am practicing everything is fine. Picking feels absolutely fine and smooth. On good days I am cracking 240bpm 16th notes on a single string. The picking motion gets so small that I barely notice any movement anymore.

On the other 50%, I pick up my guitar and suddenly I feel like I forgot how to play over night. I still get up to 200bpm, but the movement feels sloppy and not economical. On this days I also have bigger problems skipping strings. Sometimes this is very frustrating and I put the guitar back very quick. If I keep practicing, sometimes it is just fine after half an hour or more, sometimes it stays that way and I stop practicing after some time, because it feels like I am fighting against the strings.

I almost feel like this is more a problem of hand positioning rather than proper warm up. But I keep inspecting my hand and arm carefully, even made videos and pictures of myself when I played better. And I can’t see where this huge difference comes from.

Regarding warm up, I usually start directly with practicing without warm up exercises, although I start really slow, so you could call it warm up, just without the exercises dedicated to this task.

1 Like

How many hours day do you practice?

How many years have you been playing?

I found that after playing a lot of years, I have a lot less off days, but when I was younger I had the same problem you describe.

I just play rhythm guitar for 15 or 20 minutes as a warm up before I do any lead playing.

I think I play for roughly ten years now, but I am not completely sure. Could also be nine…
I try to play everyday, but because of work and university there are usually one or two days a week where I don’t have time because I am either too late at home and don’t want to disturb anyone, or I am simply too tired.
If I have time, I try to practice at least an hour each day. But of course, some time of this hour is dedicated to just playing stuff. So the real time where I focus on learning or improving licks/riffs etc. is at least half an hour.

On some days, esp. weekends, I have more time and dedicate two or more hours to guitar playing and practicing.

What I noticed often is, that practicing in the morning is worse than evening. If I practice after I get home from work or so I often don’t have so much problems like when I try to practice Saturday morning.

I would think that’s most likely because later in the day when you’ve been awake for a long time, just normal daily activities warm up your muscles, at least to a degree. When you first wake up, your body isn’t warmed up at all since you’ve been stationary for 6 to 8 hours.

You’ve been playing enough years that I think you’ll start seeing more consistency and have less bad days before much longer.

Yes this is most likely, didn’t think about this before.

What I should add (probably really important): I completely turned my way of picking around at the beginning of this year.
Formerly I anchored my hand and used Jazz III picks. My picking looked a little bit like that of Alexi Laiho. I got pretty fast but never felt like “I could play everything”. This was also before I discovered pickslanting.
I then decided to completely change things and move to a not anchored hand like Paul Gilbert does. I practiced this for a month or so and it felt pretty weird, but insanely I decided to stick to it.
After some time it made “click” and I could pick faster and cleaner than ever. But it is still not consistent.

I think there was a slight progress in consistency since then, but maybe you are right and I should keep practicing and it will get more consistent eventually.

Sorry for my german english!

No problem! You write quite well.

Here is a song that I used to play as a warm up - especially the main riff. It’s a pretty good warm up for the right hand!

For me, warming up is essential for picking. Not just to get the blood flowing, and to get your muscles relaxed, but also, you have to ‘fine-tune’ your mechanic. Kinda like a singer that does the ‘me me me me me’, you have to go through your motions, and adjust things that are off. I like warming up at around 130 bpm 16ths, so that I can really see what’s going on.

There are some great warmup exercises that you can do. Depending on your mechanic. But I like to stick with odd time-signature stuff, 3/4 or 5/4 stuff. Patterns that force you to switch your accenting between up-stroking and down-stroking. I really try and get to an ‘equilibrium’ state where I feel like I have no bias at all towards any direction.