How does one get in to playing gypsy jazz?

someone told me that it could improve playing and I feel like it can refresh my playing. Any tips on how to start and what pieces i should learn?

thanks in advance.

theres a few good websites that you can join that show pieces. i really like the rosenberg academy, and the guy who did the phenominal transcriptions christiaan van hemert has an amazing youtube channel. joscho looks to have a nice website too, but i haven’t the funds so i haven’t checked his out yet. i am not sure if his picking differs than gypsy or not. i prefer the way stochelo does it, and that is just how i learned in the beginning.

be prepared to take a huge hit in speed, these guys are the most impressive pickers on the planet.

Let me explain to you how I learn new gypsy licks. Right now I am at a point where I understand the technique, and could really play anything using the proper technique.

Remember breath, if you feel anxiety, take a break, come back when you arent feeling stressed.

Every single move you make needs to be the intended manuever. This can be tricky since the wrist aspect is not something that comes second nature to some, myself included. I still feel it as my flaw as to why I am unable to speed up, that and my terrible ear.

The rest stroke ascending is like the breathing room, the vacation. The descending rest stroke is like the proving grounds. Dont focus to much on this, but try to maintain wrist turning.

The double downs at first you will be like nah, but trust me there is a reason they do them. I actually prefer it, sometimes stochelo will alternate pick the 2 note ascending diminished, but 95% of the time he double downs. They sound different, better, more clarity across the rhythmical sound of the lick as a whole. The feeling is better on the hands, and that is a bit crazy to say. But if you look beyond speed, there is a reason both ways can actually feel right, moreso the double down feels even more correct imo.

This is a sort of guide that I do when I come to something new I havent heard Stochelo do. He really only has like 20 licks, but boy does he know how to spruce them up to sound different.

1. I go very slow, if I am being distracted by someone or thing I do not continue.

2. I follow Christiaans tablature or the video if it is complex to make sure I ingrain proper manuevers. If its something I hear that sounds similar to something I know I can proceed by ear.

3. Every note is important, the picking, or legato.

4. Do not focus to much on fingers, focus the most on the proper picking motions first. Watch your wrist, as you downstroke rest it on the string below. If the next manuever is upstroke ok, if not make sure the pick resides on the string as you hammer on or pull off before seeing the next notes choice on how it is sounded out through picking or legato. If you are on the high e string get in a habit of going all the way to the wood at first, clacking the pick against the wood, and resting it on the wood before the next note.

5. Once the lick comes together with a better musical flow, then I make sure my fingerings are in order. You will know when this happens. But in the beginning this will probably take awhile to get to this point. But utilize the technique blueprint licks if the course has any, and always play them daily to develop your technique. Take it very slowly do not rush for a few weeks.

You will find different players will either double down or not, christiaan doesnt. And i dont know why as he could easily handle it. His descending rest stroke is faster than mine. But i think he alternates the ascended double down because it might help him relax or flow better. I dunno.

Another philosphy I have is perfect practice. This will only happen when you go slow enough to do everything right. Think about how if you want something to sound really nice, it is going to have to be very precise. And if you ingrain these things very slowly in the beginning this will be much easier if you decide to alter, or speed up.

There are a few good guys that teach it Joscho, Christiaan van Hemert has a good book he calls it the Van Hemert system, Yaakov Hoter is another one, Robin Nolan, but watch out for Robin he is a character, he picks differently since he came from another picking school. Really nice dude though, has some very good lessons. Since his picking is different his style makes it sound really fresh. If you look up Robin Nolan check out his Djangus guitar, he is funny. He melded gypsy jazz guitar and gibson sg. He melded their names django and angus.

Everything @bradejensen says is very good.

But to your original question, I’d say don’t learn gypsy jazz picking unless you are playing gypsy jazz, or at least are going for that loud, clear sound on an acoustic or hollow jazz guitar like Joe Pass. :slight_smile:

Everything here is my own opinion.

This picking style is totally different from regular alternate picking. The double downstrokes are tough, yes, but everything stems from the requirements for the sound, which leads to the idea of the rest stroke, which then alters the hand posture. That alteration isn’t needed in alternate picking.

Everything already mentioned above can still be applied in alternate picking practice.

So a different question: what do you not like about your playing, what do you want to liven up? Are there any gypsy players that you admire?

Cheers! Z

Haha good call. I just love gypsy jazz so I went for it. Yes it is very different. But I will say it has helped my tremolo picking alittle bit.