How does this motion look?

So I have been trying to get a wrist-arm usx motion for a little while now, but in doing so, I have perhaps slightly neglected my ‘natural’ picking motion/form, and I want to check that it is still alright :slight_smile:

Here is a few seconds of mindless noodling:

standard speed

slo-mo

How does this look? Does it look like i’m missing notes? What could I improve?

Thank you!

1 Like

When I play the scales that are ascending straight upwards, does it look like I’m picking more than 3nps? I find it hard to tell, but in the slo-mo footage, something looks off to me… :thinking:

It is hard to tell…because it is so freaking fast :fire:

1 Like

If you could reupload as an unlisted video, like you did with the slo-mo version, but at full speed, it’d be easier to tell what’s going on (youtube’s built-in playback speed function is great). I can’t change the speed on a short, and that slo-mo version that dropped the pitch to Z flat is difficult to distinguish.

2 Likes

It does appear you’re picking 3 notes on E, 4 notes on A D and G, 2 on B, 5 on high E on the first run through - something like that, not a clean 3 per string. It’s probably some combination of displacement and swiping going on, but it will be a little easier to tell with the reupload.

1 Like

How can I do this? I recorded the video in portrait mode, and when I try to upload it as a standard video, youtube automatically sets it as a short. Is there a way I can force the standard video format?

I thought something like this could be happening - when I play lines like these they don’t always feel consistent. I was wondering whether tensing up could force certain errors like playing more notes on 1 string - I noticed that if I tense my arm just a little bit it causes my arm to shake slightly, maybe causing me to play that extra note or 2 on a string. A bit of a long shot, but what do you think?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

There are a couple ways. If you look at the last string of characters, just get them in your clipboard and append them to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Like this:

That will force the normal youtube player. There are some other url formats that I can’t remember, but that one is my go-to for the annoying “shorts” thing

1 Like

Great thanks! I managed to upload it in a standard format by changing the aspect ratio of the video. Here is the new one:

I will try your method next time though :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Edit: haha, I only just realised you uploaded the fixed one for me sorry

2 Likes

Could be, or your brain might’ve been trying to force DSX all the time, which doesn’t work for a 3 note per string scale all alt picked. I can’t quite tell if you have a shallow DSX or are mostly trapped in the vid.

How are you with plain old Gilbert-style ascending/descending sixes? Those can be done all DSX - 3 notes on the 1st string you play, 6 notes on everything thereafter.

2 Likes

Ascending:

Descending:

I think you might be right - it looks quite trapped to me (or at least an incredibly shallow escape).

Thanks again :slight_smile: