How is he picking this?

Hey guys, so if I am not mistaken, hes using elbow motion with a dsx. To me it looks like he isnt using any other helper motion to clear the string on those upstrokes. I think theres a couple 3nps lines in there and just wondering how else he could be doing it. Thanks! It is the line at 0:22

One of my favorite solos ever!

It’s a great performance we see here, but if you slow it down you’ll notice not all the notes are clean. There are some missed notes and maybe even some picked twice. It sounds fine full speed though :slight_smile:

I think the reason for the minor flaws is because, as you’ve pointed out, this type of phrase is not conducive to elbow DSX. Playing it with USX + swiping is what I think Petrucci does/did (and I’ve yet to find a live performance where JP himself played this without errors)

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but watching it slowed down a few times it seems whatever is happening does not involve both directions of escape.

1 Like

Now that you mention that, I actually do see this more often than not. Its just so hard to accept it and tell myself that its ok to not play it 100% cleanly when it sounds just perfect sped up haha

2 Likes