How to accent 6 notes per string triplets?

Alternate picking moving through all strings say for this A lydian example starting on the low E=

E 5-7-9 5-7-9
A 6-7-9 6-7-9
D 6-7-9 6-7-9

I accent the first 5, and then the first 6 on each string but seem to be having either a hand sync issue or weird rhythm thing. Thanks yall

We’d need to actually see you playing it to be conclusive in advice.

Sanity check I’d try first: what happens if you just stay on one string? Can you maintain sync? If not, I wouldn’t even bother with a pattern that switches strings. Do a variety of patterns that stay on one string and focus on sync. Ones I have found most helpful are repeated 3 note groupings played as 16ths. There’s something special about it because it doesn’t let us get away with prioritizing patterns that must begin with the index.

Try it “reversing” that cycle too since you’ll need to play patterns in each direction.

There is of course the Yngwie 6 note pattern too, as well as Thunderstruck. The main theme to Yngwie’s Trilogy Suite (just stays on the g string) is another great hand sync practice piece.

All that said, if your hand sync on one string is solid, most likely there is a string switching issue. If so I’d try offsetting your pattern so it conforms to Gilbert 6’s

These are all just guesses and could be a waste of your time. Video will show what the real issue is.

Well for 16th note triplets you want to accent both the first and fourth note of the pattern on the string. For sextuplets you just want the first. The two are different even though they both have the same number of notes played against the beat. For triplets specifically, it’s best to practice them at first as 8th notes at double time to get the accents. Sextuplets you want to do the opposite.

For accenting, and syncing, this is one of the stings that is best practiced at reduced speeds. You are not trying to go fast here, you are trying to lock it in, to clean it up and make it sound a specific way.

I agree with @joebegly that without hearing where you are having the trouble it’s hard to say where you are losing it,

1 Like

I kind of already have an idea of whats going on I just wanted some advice and some input on the subject matter! Yeah for triplets i was only accenting the first note on each string so thanks for the tip! Ill give this all a shot!