How to pick while minimising CMC joint movement as much as possible?

I have been having problems with the CMC joints on both of my hands. Unfortunately typing is part of my job and I’m finding it difficult to get on top of the pain. I am sort of getting better, but it’s slow. I want to avoid injections at the moment.

With this in mind, what is the “best” way that I can play guitar without moving my CMC joint too much? I just can’t seem to work it out.

Also, what is the best type of pick that I should use in this case? Something that I don’t need to grip too tightly. I have tried thumbpicks, but they weren’t satisfactory at all.

In a nutshell: there’s no need to minimise anything :blush:

The main things you want to be looking for are:

-speed
-smoothness
-Good tone
-comfort (corollary: no pain!)
-ability to keep the movement going for —say— at least 20 seconds without significant fatigue

Forget everything else

1 Like

PS: sorry @aliendough I typed that fast without understanding properly the context!

What I wrote above is a general guideline that does not assume pre-existing injuries.

My (updated) understanding is that you are asking about one specific joint (CMC = connection between thumb and hand) and not about “minimising motion size”, which is the thing I was addressing in my previous hastily written comment.

So, off the top of my head:

1. If this is an injury that is healing, the “simplest” advice would be not to play with a pick until you have healed enough. Annoying advice I know :frowning:

2. I think that to minimise or eliminate motion in the CMC joint you want a pick grip where the thumb is straight. Perhaps you can even try to slide the pick further down the thumb — e.g. you could try to imitate Molly Tuttle’s grip.

In any case, you definitely want to avoid any pain — so that can be your guiding principle in testing several pick grips / pick types and had positions.

1 Like

Thanks, as always, @tommo

After reading your replies, I have a question:

This is my normal pick grip:

You mentioned sliding the pick further down the thumb, do you mean like this? The pick is sitting over the thumb joint, meaning I can’t bend it.

For the longterm, I will be focussing a lot less on trying to play fast picked passages. I will have to switch to more of a legato style. I have already switched to 8s to make it easier to fret chords and notes with.

Yep, that is what I had in mind!

It was only based on my intuition though (thinking of ways to minimize thumb motion), there have been no rigorous scientific studies behind my suggestion :slight_smile:

Only important question is: could that work for you? As in: no pain, being able to play what you normally play, etc.

1 Like

Do you use finger movement to pick? Do you grip too tightly?

When you grip the pick, instead of squeezing with
directly opposing force, think instead of (light) shearing force. This will open the hand slightly, reduce tension, and reduce stress on the joints.

Make sure that you are relaxed before, and at every stage of picking. Take regular breaks to relax and open the hand.

If you begin with tension in your grip then you may not know how to position your hand to play without it. Imagine a painter at the top of a ladder. The hand and fingers are the painter, the arm and everything else is the ladder. It’s no good if the painter has to stretch and strain to reach because the ladder is in the wrong position. The ladder has to be positioned so the painter can do the fine work, fully relaxed, and with a full range of motion.

By relaxing your hand, you may actually end up with more motion in your finger and thumb joints, as they are now being moved by the string instead of resisting it.

Hi Tommo. It seems to be working, I have a little bit of pain when playing, not too much. I do have pain on and off during the day. It seems to be easier to hold the pick if i use a big triangle type pick as it has more surface area to tuck into the back of my fingers.

@saintelsewhere I don’t believe that I use a lot of pressure when gripping, I am making a conscious effort to keep things relaxed. There seems to be a fine line between keeping things relaxed and actually making sure the pick stays in my hand!! That’s why triangle picks seem to help, as there is more to hold on to.

Glad it seems to work, however:

This makes me a bit worried as I don’t want to lead you down a path that worsens the injury. Bit of a “stock advice” but If you can, it would be great if you could go through these ideas with a medical professional!

1 Like

The other thing you can try is to reinforce your thumb and pointer finger with a more closed grip. That in my playing around has a tendency to really stabilize the hand and reduce the shock and impact the strings can have.

2 Likes