How to practice learn DBX and then how to practice?

Hey all! I did do a few searches before posting this so apologies if this has come up before.

I’m just starting to experiment with DBX picking. All I have been trying is a 3 string triad, up and down and from reading some posts about this, it seems starting fast is the way to go.

So, I’d start at 140bpm 16th notes and it’s a complete mess. I get tense and i’m missing pretty much every note haha. I then slow down to about 120bpm and try to do the same. Again, I’m missing most of the notes. I go back up to 140bpm and repeat the process.
I have been doing this while holding down the chord as I figured it would be the best way to tell how much I’m swiping. It almost sounds like I’m strumming!!

Basically, I’m really not sure what method to use to learn the motion and then how to practice the motion. I’m spending some time doing the above each practice session but it’s not getting cleaner nor have I had a moment where I felt ah, that’s the motion!
I know many don’t do this, from what I’ve read, but when I start fast, my forearm gets involved with the wrist… It seems most do this wrist only, but I can’t seem to get it going at all that way.

Anyway, any help as to how to learn the motion, (presumably fast!) and how to then practice the motion and clean it up would be greatly appreciated. For me it feels like one of the most difficult motions I’ve ever attempted to learn!

I think I just played lines in which “DBX is required” without knowing what DBX is (before CTC). I think if you try to nail a line which requires it and are willing to try different movement patterns, you’ll start to naturally develop it.

1 Like

Have you tried finding a single escape motion and then adding a secondary motion? I can do DiMeola type DSX and I’m trying to merge it with forearm-wrist USX. USX is the problematic part for me and when it gets a little better, my DBX gets a little better too.

1 Like

What note groupings are you using? I’m assuming by your description you are doing the typical Yngwie triplets using the first three strings. In any case it’s not really important. I think if you are just starting out using double escape, I wouldn’t try playing anything at those tempos, 16th note triplets or sextuplets at 120 is still 12nps, (unless you are playing a grouping of 4 straight 16ths) I would take it down to the point it starts to sound okay first, and punch it back up once you have it. The thing with DBX is that the exchange between USX and DSX doesn’t have to be exaggerated, a lot of the times it really isn’t, it could just be a slight flattening of the pick. It may be good to practice it that way at first (a little exaggerated), with a slower tempo, so you can train your brain and hands to automatically switch when it’s time to, but it certainly doesn’t have to be that way in practice once you get those tempos up. Also some videos of you doing it focusing on the picking hand and where you are having trouble may be good. That always seems to be the preferred method here of getting a good answer from other forum members of what to look at and adjust.

1 Like

I’m actually doing a 3 string triad, Cmaj, at the 10th fret, D, G and B strings. I’m holding the chord down as I do it and yes, I’m playing 16th notes, not sextuplets.
I tried holding down the chord as it’s a technique I’d like to use for fast arpeggiation of ringing chords, as well as 1 note at a time arpeggios.
From my understanding, it’s been recommended to start fast and sloppy, as the efficient DBX motion can’t be learnt slow, but then to slow it down a bit and clean it up.

I just can’t seem to get it clean at all. Doing it really slow is a more exaggerated string hopping motion that I wouldn’t be able to do fast at all.

I’m just not certain how to get started with this, what speeds to start with to ensure it’s not string hopping, how to clean up all the horrid swiping, but also, what types of exercises do people use getting started. 3 strings? 4?

@adamprzezdziecki Yes, I’ve been working on DSX primary motion with the wrist. I do have issues with that but that’s a topic for another day. I’m trying to work out the issues myself first. Trying to feel out what the issues are and what I can do to fix them. For wrist only, I use a slightly pronated form, but to change string after the upstroke, the forearm turns slightly, just for that one string change, then it’s straight back to my primary.

I can do USX with forearm and wrist also, but I’ve been focusing mainly on wrist picking for now. I’ll get back to practicing that motion soon and develop some lines for it. That’s kind of a funny one as it’s the motion I used to do, but I had all sorts of issues with it. I hadn’t realised until recently, that the only issue with it was my approach angle and resting points were far from ideal and that caused all sorts of problems.

Anyway, DBX is kicking my ass!

I would just post a vid honestly and get opinions from your peers here.

1 Like

I took your advice and slowed it down a bit. This seems a bit more of a realistic starting point for me. Starting at 140bpm 16’s when I’ve rarely done 1nps alt picking before was just a mess. Maybe after some time at a slightly slower pace (fast enough that I don’t think I can string hop) , then I can try whack the metronome up and see how it goes.