How to record and produce better audio?

Hey @Troy, I’m constantly blown away by the audio quality and your guitar tone (and playing of course) in your videos.

Could you please share with us, how you record / mix / master the audio in your solo guitar magnet clips?

Anything would help from miking technique, signal chain, mix technique, plug-in settings, effects, workflow etc.

Thanks!

PS Everyone, please feel free to jump in and share your own recording / production ideas.

2 Likes

Went from carefully crafted all-analog to mostly digital with the AxeFX after experimenting with modern reactive load boxes (which as I now see as the gateway drug to the digital). New frontiers… Granted, the experience with tubes, analog pedals, and tape informs what one does with the digital. Cheers, D

1 Like

Happy to do so but in truth I do almost nothing - sm57 1.5 inches left or right of the center cone, some verb in Logic, that’s it!

4 Likes

Great statement. Everyone should learn the dirt simplest way to mic up an amp with the “universal guitar mic”, the Shure SM57, as a starting point. I would also add that everyone should do the same exact thing with a dead flat measurement mic like this, except placed near where their ears are when they practice:

…just to drive home the point that even with nothing but an amp and a mic, and no “effects” per se, you are radically altering what your amp sounds like. This is also true for an AXE or a Kemper or any other device that delivers a “miked up” sound through your studio monitors.

2 Likes

Thanks Troy! How loud do you have your amp? And what verb settings are you using? Cheers

By loud do you mean how much power amp distortion is happening? Probably not much. The Hellcat is a modern high-ish gain amp so it’s mostly preamp distortion. I keep the Master volume around 9 o’clock mostly.

If you want an actual level measurement I can check the db in the room the next time the amp is on. But it’s not by any means super loud.

2 Likes

Years ago, I taught myself to record via PC and Cakewalk Sonar with a MOTU 896D interface. My recordings sound terrible, but I was learning. About 4 years ago, I bought a Digidesign Eleven Rack which came with Pro Tools 7. My sound immediately improved because I gather Pro Tool’s sound engine was far superior to Cakewalk. I write my own drum loops with Beta Monkey Double Kick Mania. I dabbled with playing an actual bass versus Spectrasonic Trillian using MIDI writing.

This year I want to buy a preamp such as Avalon or Universal Audio to make my tracks pop or stand out more. And like Troy, I have found that a good ol’ SM57 does the job for amp micing. The Eleven Rack has a decent mic interface and does the trick for demo quality. Digidesign’s (now Avid) interfaces are super expensive for a working man, so a move to Logic may be in order. Pro Tools is a proprietary software so you can only use Avid gear with it. However, I could use something like Audacity with another brand interface and then import my tracks. There’s always a way to get around it.

My question for @Troy is what interface do you use with Logic?

1 Like