How to start applying DBX outside of rolls?

Thats my logic for giving up on alternate picking, doing a single escape just works for me naturally. I believe Troy has mentioned this in the past too. But different stroke different blokes.

I believe that Troy has since said that he was wrong about the rotational element in Steve’s motion and plans to take that video down at some point. I think it’s all wrist, just with a lot of supination :slight_smile:

Bingo. I’d talked with Troy about this in another thread and that’s my understanding too. Troy’s understanding of wrist playing in general has evolved. It’s complicated!!! lol!

Right, and sorry. I do recall you mentioning this many times and it was more in the back of my mind when I cited your experience. I should have referred to it as “The DBX motion Tom used half his lifetime ago” lol!

Good call. I should have specified that since we’re talking about the 2 different forms. “Your old form” being intentionally curved and the wrist based DBX appearing to curve…for free??? Because…

I’m very interested in the extent of this. I know we’ve discussed this before and you mentioned you don’t perceive it as much on electric as the string tension is less. I’d say that’s sort of my experience too. Plus, Troy had a specific video on how apparent this was when Andy Wood plays mandolin, where the string tension is even more.

Do you think a high-ish degree of edge picking, especially with a pointy pick, would make this “ramp” even more pronounced? I need to find specific footage of Troy doing DBX but I feel like I’ve seen some where his edge picking looked near perpendicular (maybe a slight exaggeration on my part).

EDIT: Oh here it is:

Do you have the post on that? Because although ofcourse I could be wrong, in practicing the evh/Steve Morse picking a load, I’m convinced, just as Steve himself said, there is rotation.

I’ve said it a few times but I think it needs highlighting, a pivot point literally transfers a range of motion into a smaller or larger one. It hides the initial action and makes it look like the motion is coming from somewhere else. The rotation seems to disappear visually but it’s still there. It’s just being transferred into a different movement.

Anchoring on the body in anyway will change the initial expression of movement into a new one. Same as how a cars motor spin gets transferred into the wheels, tho that is a little more complicated. Same concept tho, on the outside it looks like the cars power is coming from the wheels rotating in one axis, but it’s acually coming from the engine thats rotating in an axis 90 degrees from the wheels.

2 Likes

I am still convinced from my own experience that the rotation is there, it’s just being transferred. And I did read it. I’m surprised you gave an example so fast lol

One thing to keep in mind, is the example in the air is not anchored/pivoted

But…but…but…you’re doing a completely different mechanic than what I’m talking about lol! I don’t doubt at all that you have a DBX motion that’s rotational. All I’m saying is…there are several ways to do it that require no rotation at all. If there is, it’s invisible and it’s quite different from the deliberate “gypsy” rotation and the thing Tom used to do. Can we agree on that? OR…are you saying it’s physically impossible to do DBX (ANY DBX motion) without the occurrence of rotation? If so…that’s cool. We all view the world a little differently lol!

And of course, this is all in good fun and we’re just throwing ideas around. No ill will or anything :wink:

That’s only because I’d started that thread so I knew how to search for it quickly :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I do think without the forarm rotation it doesn’t work, as you said before without an x-ray or something it’s hard to show. But I wana really hammer away on this idea of a pivot point, it literally transforms motion mechanics. Tho I will ofcourse admit I’m not Troy who is literally doing this stuff professionally.

Tho I honestly believe there is rotation going on, like in a car the engine will say it’s rotating one way, the wheels with say another.

Transformers!! More than meets the eye.

1 Like

I think this also connects strongly to the recent thread on a triple pick stroke with one wrist motion.

It’s a misunderstanding of how much the forarm rotation essentially gives you an extra true pick stroke. Rather than any wrist or finger motion, the forarm rotation gives two strokes without displacing the pick excessively, anything attached to that is just an extra expression of that, the forarm has two bones in it that float around each other. Twist around each other. There is something to that that I’ve not spent enough time looking into to express in text. Most joints don’t twist like that.

I’d also add I’m flying by the seat of my pants. I do feel it tho…

No problem, I just think context is important. I can’t do this as well as I once could. The core movement is still there, but the pieces learned and the licks I played have decayed.

To do what I did with this movement, I’d have relearn the material and sharpen up the old form. Maybe I could do it, but I doubt I’ll invest the time into it again.

I also can’t do Taekwon-do flying kicks or execute combos in fighting games anymore either.

Yes, the old form was deliberately curved, and was developed specifically to be curved. I worked out all the geometry in a guitar notebook when I was about fourteen or fifteen, I even had the pick depth versus radius calculation in the golf club and flamingos video Troy did on Steve Morse (which has a much simpler solution).

Yeah, I have a very real sensation that the strings do more of the work for me when I play an acoustic guitar. My acoustics are strung with 12s, and most of my electrics are strung with 9s. That’s a very significant difference in string tension.

Bizarrely, I get my best results on wrist forms on acoustic with these picks

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/picks-and-pick-holders/duralin/duralin-wide/item/daddario-duralin-guitar-picks-medium-10-pack-wide-shape-2027/

I can make the wrist-only movements work on any guitar with pretty much any pick, but the big 346 shape is effortless for me. This really is my Goldilocks pick on acoustic guitars too.

I totally understand.

2 Likes

What is your preferred picking?

For DBX or generally?

Generally, if you had to go on stage and play tomorrow what would your basic technique be

This is the most stupid video I’ve ever made but I think it highlights my point lol

5 Likes

Actually I disagree. I think that’s one of the most amazing videos I’ve ever seen…EVER lol!!! Well done, sir!

2 Likes

I lol’ed, and I think you certainly have a point.

nominates video for Academy Award

2 Likes

I’m not seeing forearm rotation in that video. I’m seeing the forearm moving, but I think that’s solely due to referred movement from the wrist.

I think this is the issue tho, I say my forarm is rotating, Steve says his forarm is rotating, but from an outside observer, it looks all from the wrist.

This may well be the most incredible picking motion video I have ever seen! :sweat_smile:

1 Like