How Would You Pick This?

This passage here has caused me much grief. I prefer to pick every note where possible, and I’m not averse to economy picking if that’s needed. So disregarding the pull-offs as illustrated, how would you pick this? I’ve tried a gazillion combinations of pick strokes and I’ve mind freaked myself, but I want to get something locked in stone so I can practice it that way,

image|496x165

Single string that sucker, or arrange for even number of notes per string if it’s strictly alternate picking you are going for - those are my suggestions.

2 Likes

Here’s a whole thread about it!

1 Like

The easiest way for me is down pull pull, down up down up down up up down - all DSX with one economy moment. You could also eliminate one pulloff by doing the first three notes up down pull, keep the rest the same.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I finally decided just to use strict alternate picking starting with an upstroke. That feels most natural. I hammered this passage forever last night while listening to an audiobook and I almost got it at a passable at tempo. Not quite as clean as I would like, but I think it’ll come.

1 Like

I’d use USX starting with an upstroke but sweep once (17) and use hybrid picking once (20) to handle the two instances of one isolated note.

1 Like